Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flybet3

Fly for me! Get my Bonus!
ALPA's president, Capt. Prater, testified before the House Subcommittee on Aviation on June 6 regarding the NTSB’s “Most Wanted” aviation safety improvement list. He praised the Board for including fatigue but added two more important items.

“Pilot fatigue made the ‘Most Wanted’ list, and we commend the NTSB for addressing one of the most pressing issues in the aviation industry today,” said Prater. “Simply put, pilots are tired.”

After Prater walked the congressional members through a sample 8-hour period between flying for an airline pilot, he then urged them to encourage the FAA to modernize flight- and duty-time regulations and rest requirements for the safety of the traveling public.

He also urged the NTSB to include on its “Most Wanted” list the need for industry wide adoption of non-punitive safety reporting programs, such as ASAP and FOQA; and increased training levels for today’s new-hire pilots who are less experienced than pilots hired in the past.

“Frontline employees are the ultimate safety net in our industry,” Prater stated. “That’s why ALPA believes that non punitive safety reporting programs should be high on the NTSB’s ‘Most Wanted’ list. We consider them to be standard-issue, must-have items for airline safety.”

Prater told subcommittee members that ALPA’s air safety representatives recently met with senior FAA officials and developed new language that would improve safety reporting programs, encouraging the creation of additional ASAP programs at more airlines.

Finally, ALPA addressed the decline in the amount of experience that new-hire pilots have in the industry today, saying that the airlines’ inadequate training programs do nothing to help these new pilots become seasoned aviators.

“When I was first hired as a pilot, I had to have 2,500 hours of flight time—hands-on experience,” Prater said. “Today, at some regional airlines, pilots need as few as 200 hours of flight time to land a job. This concerns us and should raise a red flag for others in the industry.”

Prater said these pilots, who may become captains of 50-, 70-, or 90-passenger jets in little more than a year, are likely to be bright and talented, but that’s no substitute for experienced, seasoned pilots. ALPA warned Congress that this type of training, along with other programs like multicrew pilot license, or MPL, creates pilots who get their experience almost entirely through on-the-job training—with the lives of passengers in their hands.

Rep. Jerry Costello (D-Ill.), chairman of the Subcommittee, ended the hearing by saying it would not be the last. Some of these issues, including runway incursions, have been on the list since the NTSB started it in 1990, Costello said, and it’s time for the FAA to implement new technologies that are already available that address these issues.

First logical thing I have heard come from ALPA...besides "what do you guys want on your pizza" during the Indoc brain-washing by the MEC's.

Yup. Glad they are on the ball with this one. Not that industry lobbying won't crush the effort. At least we can say "told ya so".

Bravo Capt. Prater.... Rez, what do you think? Maybe ALPA is feeling the pressure.......

We need to address the experience issue for 121 pilots.... no other profession allows people to "fast track" like we do....

Profession?

What profession? This job stopped being a profession a long time ago. When airlines issue flight crews boards to put between the rows and sleep on rather than giving them a hotel room. When you can make more money and work fewer hours in a day driving a truck than working at most regionals. We are expected to provide a "professional" service but expect and willingly accept working conditions and pay that could scarely be considered "professional." This industry would never survive if we worked in a "professional" environment. We are street 'ho's and they know it!
-"me so horny"
-"me love you long time...."

“When I was first hired as a pilot, I had to have 2,500 hours of flight time—hands-on experience,” Prater said."

I'm sure Prater also walked to shcool up-hill BOTH ways!

What profession? This job stopped being a profession a long time ago. When airlines issue flight crews boards to put between the rows and sleep on rather than giving them a hotel room. When you can make more money and work fewer hours in a day driving a truck than working at most regionals. We are expected to provide a "professional" service but expect and willingly accept working conditions and pay that could scarely be considered "professional." This industry would never survive if we worked in a "professional" environment. We are street 'ho's and they know it!
-"me so horny"
-"me love you long time...."

Will our industry every be what it was? Who knows, maybe. Are we going to see wages like before? Who knows, I sure hope so.
For now we need to make the best of our jobs, keep feeding out family and keep trying to improve our jobs. Everyone needs to stop thinking like everyone did in the days of the prop "I'm making 12K a year, it's ok, it's just a prop. I have to pay my dues to make get my turbine PIC and make it to the majors"
well as we can see, it kinda backfired on us, and we all need to unite and stop trying to "pay our dues" at the regionals. Most pilots are flying Jets, even for a regional, I dont care if its 50 seat or 90 seat, its a jet. Therefor everyone should get jet pay.

“When I was first hired as a pilot, I had to have 2,500 hours of flight time—hands-on experience,” Prater said."

I'm sure Prater also walked to shcool up-hill BOTH ways!

If you are right out of the ipod cool school of flying and an Airline Pilot now- this stuff probably does sound like B.S. to you.

If you are right out of the ipod cool school of flying and an Airline Pilot now- this stuff probably does sound like B.S. to you.

You are absolutley correct! Most of the new guys were getting into aviation back in the "bad days" when it took 1,500 hours or more to get an airline job! I'm old enough (and I'm not even all that old) to remember the days when you would spend months searching for, and be willing to move across the country, a CFI job......IF you were one of the supremely lucky ones, your school had a multi that you had a chance to instruct in after a few years. Wow - how things have changed in the past 10 years.

Latest resources

Back