CWO's flying for the Navy again.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sardaddy said:
Using the current Navy/Coast Guard system, a high flight time Warrant officer Aircraft Commander would still be a co-pilot to a low time O-2 Aircraft Commander. I see a lot of animosity that could arise from this.

What does your rank have to do with being an Aircraft Commander? When I was in the Air Force it was not uncommon for a Captain AC to fly with a Major who is CP. I did a 45 day deployment to Saudi as a Captain and my copilot was a Lt Col. Many other times after I upgraded to IP, I was the AC of record when flying with a Major or Lt Col whose rating was just a regular Aircraft Commander.

There will be and should be animosity if a lessor qualified pilot is made Aircraft Commander no matter what the rank.

Under the system I am talking about, if you have two qualified aircraft commanders and one is senior, the senior officer is by default the aircraft commander.

Obviously if one is a CP and one is an AC then regardless of rank the qualified AC is the AC.

If you are an IP, you only sign for the plane if you are conducting an instructor flight.

So in this system as it stands, A warrant officer may be a designated IP with 10 years service and 3000 hours but as soon as he is scheduled for a flight that doesn't require an IP and the other pilot is an AC and is senior to him (an O-1) he is the junior officer and he will be the CP.

sardaddy said:
If you are an IP, you only sign for the plane if you are conducting an instructor flight.

So in this system as it stands, A warrant officer may be a designated IP with 10 years service and 3000 hours but as soon as he is scheduled for a flight that doesn't require an IP and the other pilot is an AC and is senior to him (an O-1) he is the junior officer and he will be the CP.

Thats not the way we did it (I flew the E-3). Pretty much by default the pilot with the higher rating was designated the AC. So if an IP and AC flew together, the IP would be the Aircraft Commander, regardless of rank.

transpac said:
. I'm hearing rumors that in the near future a college degree will be required for promotion to the senior enlisted ranks and that those folks will be doing many of the traditional JO ground jobs. If true, this should ease the workload.

Not a rumor. FY10 selection board requires an associates degree from an accredited school to advance to E-8...Considering there aren't that many E-8and E-9's running around relative to E-7 and below, it isn't gonna make much of a difference.

See no 4-yr requried, the Navy will not let the absence of a 4-yr degree stand in the way of hiring the right pilot. They have long history of top-notch pilots will out degrees.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back