• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CVG Article today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey General.....Comair never recovered from the Delta takeover! Took the airline with the highest profit margin in US aviation history (20%) and drove it into the ground! Sad to see the good folks suffer because of Delta.

True, Peanuckle...sad to see cvg turn into a ghost town like dfw. Delta has shut down some of the best operations out there.

CVG has always been my favorite airport due to the incredible work ethic of all the employees there, flying with both ASA and Delta. Always been a joke that cvg is the only place you dont have to start the APU.
That is the type of operation where Southwest will THRIVE in a large way!

I am not sure which airline's route system CVG fits nicely into, but someone will go in there and really do well. Maybe SWA, or more likely ALGT. I think ALGT in CVG would be real bad news for all the east coast airlines. Right now, ALGT's operations are relatively small, and center around some of the Florida markets and Las Vegas. I am sure CVG would cough up all sorts of tax incentives and cheap gate space, and a lean operation like ALGT could do worlds of damage to the previous big dog.

-Besides-how many people in and around CVG are looking at alternatives after seeing the jackhammerin' their friends and relatives have taken from the 800 lb gorilla in the last few years?

CVG has always been my favorite airport due to the incredible work ethic of all the employees there, flying with both ASA and Delta. Always been a joke that cvg is the only place you dont have to start the APU.
That is the type of operation where Southwest will THRIVE in a large way!

Agreed. All the employees at CVG, from mainline to regionals, from gate agents to rampies, all know their place in the team. When we're coming to park, you'll see one guy holding the cones, the other holding the elec. cable, and so on... True professionals, always a pleasure going thru Cinci...On the other hand, TSA @ CVG, yuck!

Sadly, CVG will turn into what BNA is for AA; or worse. CVG MD-88's will fill the void in DTW when the DC-9's finish retirement next year (All of them, not just the smaller models already announced). The decrease in the high peaks into more smaller peaks is the first stage in CVG's destruction. Another massive bid will clean up the mess with the -9's and moving most CVG based pilots to other vacancies. Retirements will be encouraged in order to avoid displacements to furlough in overstaffed categories, and to decrease costs of course.

DL does not need both CVG and DTW, but they also do not want to completely let go of it to avoid competition moving in (SWA, Republic - or whatever they want to be called).

Of Course, ACL65 will tell us soon that Delta will be hiring in 6 months! Hope he is right, but the reality is that airline management will be back at their normal games. Decrease supply, increase demand and price! That is what everyone is complaining about on this board right? Increase ticket prices to pay what it cost to run an airline; you can't just do that without changing other variables.

Back in my DCI days CVG was the best hub station, bar none. RIP guys. And saying layoffs from DGS, Regional Air Elite, or whatever it's called is not a bad thing is incredibly short-sighted.

I don't think CVG ever recovered after the Comair strike.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is very true. After the strike CVG no longer belonged to Comair. Until then, the hub and pride really belonged to Comair. There was no competition for Comair to operate as a DCI out of the hub.

The strike itself did enough damage on it's own merits, but after the strike, Big Blue split the flying throughout the other carriers so no hub would ever get shut down again and from then on it was never the same.

I was there for the years before the Delta buyout, through the strike and for a couple of years after. It was simply never the same for any Comair employee.

Hey General.....Comair never recovered from the Delta takeover! Took the airline with the highest profit margin in US aviation history (20%) and drove it into the ground! Sad to see the good folks suffer because of Delta.

good..another rj operator put to rest now we need RAH, MESA, GOJET, SKYWEST Dead!

Latest resources

Back