• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Current or Former EMB-120 Drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The shaker going off in the flare means you f____ed up the landing. Like practically every other airplane out there you can easily land the EMB in the TDZ by flying the profile. Cross the threshold at ref and land at ref to ref - 10. Keep a bit of power on (10-15% TQ) and fly the plane to the ground. Keep the pitch attitude steady. If it's a short runway use flaps 45 even if the perf calcs permit F25.

There is no need to perform a power off landing. If you find yourself needing to pull the power off and get the shaker going at any time then you need some additional training and a line check. I'm no Chuck Yeager and I can consistently put the thing down somewhere between the aiming points and the next set of markings. It ain't rocket science.

I flew the thing for 10 years, (10,000+ hours in the E120) and ALWAYS pulled the power off. Just before the wheels touched I would get the shaker sometimes. Nothing wrong with that as the wheels at that point are a matter of inches from the pavement. I also pulled the power off in the ATR72 and CRJ200 & 700. Try to land the CRJ with power and see how far down the runway you'll go!

Sorry but I don't buy the 12-15% power technique. It's really about technique anyway, and I've always touched down w/o power in everything I've flown. If a pilot wants to use 12-15% power in the landing knock yourself out. But I don't think you need to be critical of the way I land as most pilots where I fly use the same technique I use.

The 10% to 15% rule is usually used with a Flaps 45 landing. There is no need to use power if you are on speed crossing the threshold. Just ease the power back at about 100 feet and you should be fine.

Getting the shaker a few inches off the ground probably won't hurt anything. However if you pass that technique on to your FO's who then get a bit distracted and get the shaker while a bit farther off the ground then you'll be calling for a hard landing inspection. There are times I have to pull the power off completely if I've strayed from the profile. Personally I just fly the thing the way the company wants it flown. Our Standards guys don't want the shaker going off period. You're in a very small minority if you feel getting the shaker on landing is appropriate.

Umm yeah, if one of my FOs gets the shaker any time other than a stall test they'll be reminded of how they are supposed to fly. I totally understand it happens sometimes, I did it twice in the Brasilia and once in the RJ as an FO, however it should not be a goal or normal operation. It does not shorten your landing very much considering the consequences of being too high when it goes off.

IIRC Landing speeds that cause the shaker to activate are prohibited in the Brasilia.

Touchdown at ref to ref minus ten and use the reverse, you'll land short enough every time (as long as you're in the touchdown zone). Make sure you mix up the flaps 25 and 45 landings so you are good at both. It's pretty bad flying with an FO that can't land flaps 45 and you find out on short final.

Get to know your flows very well along with the profiles and you'll be set.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back