Current JB upgrade times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by oldxfr8dog
I don't think that applies any more, jb is trying to utilize reserves to recover the overtime pay that would otherwise go to line holders. Trips are withheld from open time and given to reserves. They figure the reserve guarantees are already paid for, might as well fly them.
When I was on rsv, they would fly me right to the ot threshhold and no more trips, even though I still had to sit there for another x number of days. Unless CS was really in a bind, that is. One time it was literally 74.6 hours and still had to sit rsv for 4 days. I was not happy.

No. You can only UTO 1 day. Can't UTO under 70 hours. UTOing 1 day puts you at like 71.

But wouldn't you be at 74 hours in this case so you could UTO every day? You would think since you actually flew 74 they can't take that away from you.

Originally Posted by oldxfr8dog
I don't think that applies any more, jb is trying to utilize reserves to recover the overtime pay that would otherwise go to line holders. Trips are withheld from open time and given to reserves. They figure the reserve guarantees are already paid for, might as well fly them.
When I was on rsv, they would fly me right to the ot threshhold and no more trips, even though I still had to sit there for another x number of days. Unless CS was really in a bind, that is. One time it was literally 74.6 hours and still had to sit rsv for 4 days. I was not happy.

But wouldn't you be at 74 hours in this case so you could UTO every day? You would think since you actually flew 74 they can't take that away from you.

That is a damn good point. I don't know.

I'm willing to bet no, though. Rules like that never seem to work in our favor.

This is nothing new. All companies wish to get higher utilization out of their pre paid reserves. The trips in open time do not belong to line holders until
a line holder goes into Flica and takes ownership of an open pairing. Now, I totally believe that the company does withhold pairings but how often this occurs, I do not know.

This is nothing new. All companies wish to get higher utilization out of their pre paid reserves. The trips in open time do not belong to line holders until
a line holder goes into Flica and takes ownership of an open pairing. Now, I totally believe that the company does withhold pairings but how often this occurs, I do not know.

Unfortunatley it is a terribly flawed philosophy that management has adopted.

A reserve is simply an insurance policy. When you begin to count on it to cover normal operations it is no longer available when the SHTF.

But this is just the tip of our crew mismanagement. Unproductive pairings being the other big elephant. If you are sitting in a hotel on a rigged trip you are useless to the company with the new 117 rules(dont have to answer your phone).

These unproductive pairings also create lines with 12-15 days off instead of 15-18 day off lines the line holders are less likely to pick up opentime during an IROP as well. They are either tired of being on the road or simply illegal.

Our current rules of allowing the company to widely manipulate the bid divisors so much allows them to get away with this. Allowing them to force 82 hours with 85 being the average in some months forces many into 16-17 day on months with these trips.

I was always curious about this scenario...in the above case could you UTO the last four days if the grid was green?

How do other airlines handle that scenario...seems like you are working for free at that point.

Once you credit more than 70 hours on reserve, you can UTO any remaining reserve days as long as the reserve grid permits it. FSM G.2. Learn it, know it. Your life on reserve will really suck if you don't know the FSM like a memory item.

Latest resources

Back