• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Current Horizon Info.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly the 200, so I am not sure about the 400. In the 200 some guys from the May class this year in SEA are holding lines. Most of the upgrades lately have been SEA fo's. I am in PDX and on reserve in the 200 with almost a year seniority. It all goes in cycles.

In response to sitting reserve and long upgrades. I knew it when I signed up. Am I crazy about it, he!! no. I don't like reserve and the sooner I can get a composite or a line, the better. Now, I could have gone to Skywest, and not get paid for 6-8 weeks and then have to commute, but I own a house in the PDX area and don't want to commute or move. I would love to be a captain in less than 2 years like someone at Skywest, as would most of us. The majority of us don't want to be lifer fo's. Most want to be a captain at some point. Horizon does have some fo's who don't care about the upgrade time. Part of that is because a lot of the real senior fo's who are getting jet pay make more money than some of the junior captains on reserve, plus their quality of life is probably better. I will probably take the first upgrade I can get when that time comes. For now, I just try to enjoy what I do and take it for what it's worth

ILStoMinimums said:
What kind of time are the -400 pilots looking at to hold a line?

I have a friend that was a recent hire into the -400. He is based in PDX and due to people senior to him bidding reserve (for whatever reason) has held a line from the start. His first bid off consolidation was a regular line and he has held one on the two subsequent bids. Now, if others decide to stop bidding reserve, then I'm sure it will end. The lines he gets are not great...alot of 5 on/2 off or 6 on/2 off, with one or two 3-day offs in there somewhere, and working all weekends...but it is a line and is not reserve. I guess some people like the PM airport reserve and bid that because they are pretty much home everyday plus they can get weekends off. So, I guess it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to accept.

Thanks guys,

flythere said:
Most places are that way!!

BS!!! Most places let you bid on available positons and domicile by seniority within the class. They sure as heck let you bid out of what you are assigned, if they assign the positions and domicile, as soon as your seniority and seat-lock (if there is one) will allow without penalizing your for it.

I would hardly say "most places are that way". In fact, I challenge you to show me even one place that is "that way". If they are, they are the bottom feeders, and not one of the supposed "better" companies with a "leading contract".

Sioux115, jeeze I can barely remember what I was doing last Thurs. Ummm if you're a CRJ FO & ya'll were substituting for the Q400 so I was deadheading...yep, that was me.

RE: Reserve @ QX

I'm PDX based on the Q400, Apr 04 hire & this is my first bid off of reserve. This bid, Q4 FO reserve lines did go a little senior. Dunno why, only 12 days off (35 day bid) & they'll fly you every freaking day AND extend you into your scant days off. We seriously need to hire some more Q4 FOs...the 4 currently in class are woefully inadequate, particularly since 1 or 2 will wash out if recent history is any guide...

From what I've heard, the company had trouble filling this class...ie people not showing up for the interview, lots of sim busts, etc. Seems that everyone with a choice is quite willing to be unpaid in training & fly for $19.02/hr if a 2-yr upgrade is involved. We've had 2 or 3 Q4 FO's leave QX in the last 3 months for SKYW, and another left flying altogether to be an investment banker. Plus two FOs were recently injured in accidents, one seriously. So yeah, we're short. Very glad to be off reserve.

Yank McCobb said:
I guess some people like the PM airport reserve and bid that because they are pretty much home everyday plus they can get weekends off.

Heh that's the funny part...I was on the AM split line last bid (half airport, half home) which in the past has resulted in very few overnight trips. Well, this time I only sat at the airport 3 times all bid. The rest of the time, they kept switching me to PM and giving me 3 & 4 day trips. It was freaking maddening because I'd purposely get my body on an AM schedule & then I end up flying until midnight.

Latest resources

Back