Currency gone. Now what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lineflyer1

This is a rather unique time in aviation history. Hiring for the most part has come to a halt across the board.

Cargo, regional, major, national, charter, corporate, international carriers. There are very few jobs out there to be had and I for one am not currently flying and have not flown for 14 months. I have a a few good leads but they dried up because those companies started to furlough.

Usually when one segment goes south the other segments of the industry are still hiring but I see this as a global problem now that we have a global economy.

How many of us out there are not going to be able to get interviews because we are not currently flying?

How many graduates from college programs won't be able to find work and go belly up because this is an industry that puts a value on currency?

Currency gone. Now what?

Funny, I used to say the same thing when the ex got ahold of the checkbook.

Nu

Silly me I thought the same thing, that this was about cash flow.... guess these 3 digit (before the decimal point) unemployment checks are making me fixate on economics more....

No real cash flow exchanging hands will be next..

Obama's going to get some additional gray hair fast than I now.

Still a few jobs overseas but they seem to be really focused on a particular batch of qualifications...

:(

Silly me I thought the same thing, that this was about cash flow.... guess these 3 digit (before the decimal point) unemployment checks are making me fixate on economics more....

No real cash flow exchanging hands will be next..

Obama's going to get some additional gray hair fast than I now.

Still a few jobs overseas but they seem to be really focused on a particular batch of qualifications...
:(

In a way it is about cash flow, the lack of it and the posibility of finding it again.

This is a rather unique time in aviation history. Hiring for the most part has come to a halt across the board.

Usually when one segment goes south the other segments of the industry are still hiring but I see this as a global problem now that we have a global economy.

Indeed, this is a unique time in aviation. This is my fourth furlough, but the first one that I have experienced where other good flying jobs were not readily available. Time for a career change maybe?

You cornholes could be working at Mesaba, or GoJets...or taken out a loan to get a 777 or 737 type to go overseas. You're lazy, and would rather collect unemployment and whine on flightinfo. Remember, Obama isn't going to fix anything for you....GET OFF THE INTERNET AND GET A JOB, LAZY!

Indeed, this is a unique time in aviation. This is my fourth furlough, but the first one that I have experienced where other good flying jobs were not readily available. Time for a career change maybe?

Heyas UAL,

Pretty close on the mark.

It's funny, but I guess the Law of Primacy really is true, in that your first exposure to the industry seems to make the biggest impression.

I started flying in 87, in the midst of the hiring "boom"(if they can ever be called that) of the late 80's. The majors were hiring gangbusters, sometime with 100 a month going through class.

Everyone had been hiring, and you went from student to CFI to checkhauling to a commuter then, mayber, a better commuter, then to a major. All told, probably took about 5-6 years, depending on where in the cycle you started.

No one expected to get hired at 250 flying a jet because there were no RJs. Corporate was an option, but like now, a closed community. There were NO fractionals, because that "loophole" hadn't been figured out yet.

Then it turned...just like it did this time. Slowly at first, then whammo, and don't forget Gulf War 1. Guys on furlough everywhere, and Crandal said that AA would never buy another new plane or hire another pilot. But the numbers were MUCH smaller, and if you hit the pavement, there were still reasonable jobs out there.

91-95 were lean years. Then things turned around again and the hose was on full force. 95- early 01.

Late 01, the beginnings of another recession, and again things dialed back slowly, then wammo, 9/11 and Gulf War 2. 01 to at least late 06.

IMHO, things ever truly recovered from that. The only economic activity was caused by rampant speculation in the real estate market. When someone figured out that nothing was worth what people were saying it was, it collapsed and that money vanished.

Times are tough, and they are going to get tougher. I see a return to the late 70's, where "malaise" ruled the land. Wicked high inflation and unemployment.

We'll get through it, but I see another 3-4 years of tough times. The talking heads on the news make it seem like it's been going on forever, but it's just started.

Nu

You cornholes could be working at Mesaba, or GoJets...or taken out a loan to get a 777 or 737 type to go overseas. You're lazy, and would rather collect unemployment and whine on flightinfo. Remember, Obama isn't going to fix anything for you....GET OFF THE INTERNET AND GET A JOB, LAZY!

Only idiots spout their mouths with diatribe such as yours.

I'm not collecting unemployement, I have a job, it's just not a flying job and it pays the bills. The jobs you recommend I would have to declare bankruptcy to take them, I bet you would love that.

I have a 737, EMB 145, ATR 42 type's. There are not nearly enough jobs to go around.

Some leads...

I know there's not much out there, but here are some sites I peroused when I was doing my job searches:

http://www.baseops.net/newjob.html
http://www.jsfirm.com/searchjobs.asp
http://www.avianation.com/aviation_jobs/showjobs.cfm

Baseops is military/national guard stuff. If you can get a good 'guard bum' job, you can keep it when you get hired back in the civilian world. Excellent plan 'B' for when times get lean (like now).

jsfirm has some leads for civilian jobs (check out empire aviation, a cargo outfit in the pac northwest).

avianation is a pay site, but has stuff listed as well.

Best of luck. It is a tough job market out there. Depends on how much Jet A you have in your blood if you want to stay in this profession.

Navin...

Only idiots spout their mouths with diatribe such as yours.

I'm not collecting unemployement, I have a job, it's just not a flying job and it pays the bills. The jobs you recommend I would have to declare bankruptcy to take them, I bet you would love that.

I have a 737, EMB 145, ATR 42 type's. There are not nearly enough jobs to go around.

There are plenty of jobs, for those with the drive to succeed!

Look for some future opportunities with the new Hudson River Submarine Tours. We will need some experienced Captains, or you can finance your training costs of $23,000 if you would like to train to become a First Mate. First Mates are guaranteed 250 hours of Submarine Second-in-Command time, at a salary of $8.00 per underwater hour. All submarines are the newest-generation Airbus A320 subs, formerly belonging to USAirways.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back