Currency and hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Steve--in regards to the question of why you took time off after you left the Navy, I have a simple response for you. Tell the interviewer that after 4+ years of an unparalleled ops tempo in the military you decided to take a well-deserved break. I recently made the transition and got 2 of my top 3 choices (UPS/SWA). Network all you can, but you'll probably get calls from Atlas/Gemini based on your resume alone. I think you'd be nuts to go to a regional. No offense intended towards those at the regionals now. Don't sell yourself short and assume that every single furloughee would be hired before you. Their experience trumps you, but you offer an employer a clean slate. You would have no negative transfer from other 121 operators to unlearn. IMO military flying is 10X more complex than 121. Again, I am not insulting 121 folks I just feel military flying is much less scripted and dynamic. Also, consider a USAFR unit flying KC-135s. That can keep you paid while you job search.

Hey Semperfido:

How about a pilot who speaks Chinese ? My International studies fall into the category of " Du wan juan shu, bu ru xing wan li lu ".

TP

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Steve--in regards to the question of why you took time off after you left the Navy, I have a simple response for you. Tell the interviewer that after 4+ years of an unparalleled ops tempo in the military you decided to take a well-deserved break. I recently made the transition and got 2 of my top 3 choices (UPS/SWA). Network all you can, but you'll probably get calls from Atlas/Gemini based on your resume alone. I think you'd be nuts to go to a regional. No offense intended towards those at the regionals now. Don't sell yourself short and assume that every single furloughee would be hired before you. Their experience trumps you, but you offer an employer a clean slate. You would have no negative transfer from other 121 operators to unlearn. IMO military flying is 10X more complex than 121. Again, I am not insulting 121 folks I just feel military flying is much less scripted and dynamic. Also, consider a USAFR unit flying KC-135s. That can keep you paid while you job search.

Wrong. Military pilots are very good, but they're no better than well trained 121 pilots. In fact many former military pilots who flew large planes in the service have to actually build up time in a less desirable flying job in order to meet the minimum hourly requirments for many major carriers, so your premise of superiority is nonsense.

While I'm not at the "majors" level, I did a similar thing and left a job at a regional 3 years ago due to personal life issues that sound similar to yours. I haven't been flying for most of that time. Those accomplished, I'm trying to get back into the industy, and it's been a bugger due to recency of experience. I even completed a multi atp checkride recently hoping it would help things along in the interview, to show them I'm current and up on things, but still it sucks to see them hire folks with half my time and qualifications, simply becuase I don't have the 100 hour in 6 months a lot of these places want. Bah!

In any case, I wish you luck and hope it works out!

Known quantity

We prefer to hire military pilots whenever we can, about 35% of our pilots are military trained pilots. Military pilots may not be the best pilots in the world, but I will tell you one thing. They are a known quantity, and they do not present training problems. The have been pre-screened, they have been through a demanding training program, and they have been training from day one to be an aircraft commander. Every flight they fly is a training flight.
They are easy to train because they do as they are told, they study, and they succeed. This is not to say civilian background pilots do not do the same. But the military pilots are a consistent product, where as the civilian pilots present a much broader range of capabilities. We have hired 124 military pilots with one failure over the last 8 years; we have hired 175 civilian, with 37 failures over the same time.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back