• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CS Pilots/Guard Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any National Guard/Reserve pilots working for CS? Are they pretty flexible and supportive of military commitments?

CS better support military commitments! You guys defend our country and its the LAW!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, of course they are required by law. Not really my question though. Some employers are more supportive than others. Extra time off for travel to/from duty, compensated pay to make up for shortages, generally supportive and not making it difficult to go on duty, etc.

Yes, of course they are required by law. Not really my question though. Some employers are more supportive than others. Extra time off for travel to/from duty, compensated pay to make up for shortages, generally supportive and not making it difficult to go on duty, etc.

If they don't support all you just said then they aren't abiding by the law.

If they don't support all you just said then they aren't abiding by the law.

WOW are you badly mis-informed. Companies are under no obligation to makeup pay differences for guard/reservists who are activated. Second companies are under no obligation to give compensatory or courtesy rest to weekend warriors who have drill or other obligations on the weekend. The company must provide the weekend off but what the original poster is curious about is if the company will also comp courtesy days as well. Ex- Friday and Monday off in addition to the regular Sat/Sun for drill. A company can work you on Friday, expect you back at work on Monday and not pay any difference in pay if you are activated and would still be in full compliance with the law. Doing the above mentioned things would be in good taste but do not confuse it with any law requirement. If you are activated all a company is required to do is preserve your job, and meet other small legal obligations. That being said I have no clue if and how CS goes above the basic legal requirements for military obligations.

WOW are you badly mis-informed. Companies are under no obligation to makeup pay differences for guard/reservists who are activated. Second companies are under no obligation to give compensatory or courtesy rest to weekend warriors who have drill or other obligations on the weekend. The company must provide the weekend off but what the original poster is curious about is if the company will also comp courtesy days as well. Ex- Friday and Monday off in addition to the regular Sat/Sun for drill. A company can work you on Friday, expect you back at work on Monday and not pay any difference in pay if you are activated and would still be in full compliance with the law. Doing the above mentioned things would be in good taste but do not confuse it with any law requirement. If you are activated all a company is required to do is preserve your job, and meet other small legal obligations. That being said I have no clue if and how CS goes above the basic legal requirements for military obligations.

So Sad! Oh well, this isn't my fight. Good luck to the pilot whom started this thread. I sure hope you find what you're looking for. :cool:

Last edited:
I work at Flex and I would call them "mostly" supportive of mil commitments. Usually the only times they aren't supportive is becuase of not knowing what they are required to do. Not really that many mil guys and gals here so its a new thing to them. They are good though.

As for what is required by law: The USERRA website has the answers, and the above situations are not entirely correct. If you go for drill on Sat and Sun (or any day), you are required, by law, to have time to travel home, plus 8 hours of rest, until you can report back to work. That isn't good taste, thats the law.

I used to drill several states away. My mil leave would end on a Monday for example. I had to drive back the next day, then get 8 hours before I could start a trip. Thats the way it works.

With the Guard and Reserve doing more all the time, and no end in sight, companies are someties becoming more cantankerous to work with. I can sort of understand it. You want an employee to work for you. But, I've been in the military for a long time, and it isn't easy nor is it time spent "fishing", etc. I work. And if other employees tell me that they wish they could take "some free mil time" I remember to pass along their number to their nearest recruiter ...... funny how no one takes me up on it.

Bring back the draft.

I work at Flex and I would call them "mostly" supportive of mil commitments. Usually the only times they aren't supportive is because of not knowing what they are required to do. Not really that many mil guys and gals here so its a new thing to them. They are good though.

As for what is required by law: The USERRA website has the answers, and the above situations are not entirely correct. If you go for drill on Sat and Sun (or any day), you are required, by law, to have time to travel home, plus 8 hours of rest, until you can report back to work. That isn't good taste, thats the law.

I used to drill several states away. My mil leave would end on a Monday for example. I had to drive back the next day, then get 8 hours before I could start a trip. Thats the way it works.

This falls within the basic parameters I was describing above, sorry for the confusion. I have found out that CS if similar to flex in there is not a very large population of guard/reservists working here. The one I did talk to said the company was very supportive and extremely accommodating in getting him whatever time off he needs. As for the pay, he said it was a good question that he has failed to ask but will inquire about as curiosity has gotten the best of him. It appears we don't have any hard rules about extra time off but he has always received what he has asked for including extra days due to the fact that his drills were a good drive from his home. In short he said the lack of hard written rules about how much extra time he can get before and after drills has to this point worked to his advantage. He requests what he needs and has never had a problem. The bad is that with no hard written rules it only takes one person or one situation to change this relationship. Good Luck, hope this helps.

P.S - This particular individuals deal appears to be in both the best interest of the company and the individual. He starts Thursdays and usually drills over the weekends. On drill weekends he will not start for just one day so he has never been called out to start work on drill weekends. By the time he's finished and ready to come back to work he only has about 3 days left and with no schedule variations at CS all airplanes are typically crewed already when he gets back. He does get sent to babysit service center airplanes sometimes, sick calls, and to swap out with mgmt pilots who will not work a full tour.

Last edited:
I've had good employers in the past, and some not so good. Yeah, they followed the law (barely...actually lost a job that I swear was because I deployed) but others really go above and beyond and are proud to support...those are the employers obviously us guard guys want to work for. Obligated, no they are not...but sure is nice when you get one who takes care of you.

I work at Flex and I would call them "mostly" supportive of mil commitments. Usually the only times they aren't supportive is becuase of not knowing what they are required to do. Not really that many mil guys and gals here so its a new thing to them. They are good though.

With the Guard and Reserve doing more all the time, and no end in sight, companies are someties becoming more cantankerous to work with. I can sort of understand it. You want an employee to work for you. But, I've been in the military for a long time, and it isn't easy nor is it time spent "fishing", etc. I work. And if other employees tell me that they wish they could take "some free mil time" I remember to pass along their number to their nearest recruiter ...... funny how no one takes me up on it.

Bring back the draft.

This has DG written all over it......the squadron misses your cynicism.

Latest resources

Back