Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palerider957

First time in history.

Actually, corrected for inflation, oil was higher priced (value) during the embargo in the early 80's. That being said were still looking at oil prices about 160% of what they were just three years ago. I would be surprised by oil topping $100 a barrell in the next three years. Wait till a hurricane rips a few dozen rigs out of the ground again......

Actually, corrected for inflation, oil was higher priced (value) during the embargo in the early 80's. ...
That is comforting - that is when the airlines my Dad flew for went out of business.

That is comforting - that is when the airlines my Dad flew for went out of business.

Nah don't worry the government will just step in a regulate fuel prices just like they lowered the Fed today a half point so all the idiots who bought houses on 5 year interest only ARMS don't get foreclosed on. Next stop communism.

Actually, corrected for inflation, oil was higher priced (value) during the embargo in the early 80's. That being said were still looking at oil prices about 160% of what they were just three years ago. I would be surprised by oil topping $100 a barrell in the next three years. Wait till a hurricane rips a few dozen rigs out of the ground again......

Absolutely true, but the $81 mark is noteworthy. A lot of traders are positioning for $85+, with talk of $100......I'm trying to figure out when to go short.

......I'm trying to figure out when to go short.

Many, many talking-head energy traders are saying the fundamentals are not there to support $80/bbl anything beyond short-term speculation, especially in another few weeks when the threat of Gulf weather subsides.

They also said oil would likely rise of the fed cut the prime rate more than a quarter, saying a half percent would mean the market could remain bullish (and fools would have plenty of credit available to keep buying, buying, BUYING).

Nah don't worry the government will just step in a regulate fuel prices

I assure you that will never happen again as anyone who lived through the madness of Jimmy Carter can attest. What happens when the government fixes a price below the cost of the product? People quit selling the product and you end up with signs at all your local gas stations, saying "No Gas".

It's at $81 because the dollar is losing value and oil is traded in dollars. I like Gold as the dollar collapses.

Latest resources

Back