• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crop dusting!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The relative of mine I've mentioned is working on reopening a school in Dawson, GA. The name starts with the word International. That's all I remember about it. Supposedly it's going to start up in fall this year after the spraying season ends. They want to stay small and plan to train pilots from zero time. He said there may be opportunities for me to instruct there. Just one more reason I should pursue banner towing right now. There's a guy in Norther New Jersey that wants me to come up there and train to tow banners for him in a souped up Citabria for $1500. All the other banner jobs/training have fallen through so that's my only option left. He said I'd only log 200 hours during the summer. I can't make up my mind!!

Sam Riggs left the country about ten years ago...last I heard, he and his school was in Belieze...doing the same thing he always did. And apparently still not lacking for students willing to go all the way down there to get fleeced.

Ag schools pop up every year, and last a couple of years before going under. Many claim to have been around for eons, claim that they can get you hired...claim the moon. Usually a two place ag aircraft, and for a few thousand, will give you some valueable "turbine time." Tell you it's sure to get you hired.

It's not.

Ag work is great work; it's truly flying...but be careful of getting roped into the "dream" that it's something you can walk into after a short school. It's not. Most jobs are not entry level positions.

As for "training" to tow banners. It's not rocket science, either...in fact, it's sleeper type work. You pick up the banner, you tow it around at slow speeds, drop it, go get another. Don't get roped into paying someone to "train" you or "certify" you to fly banners. It's a ripoff. Much like many of the ag schools.

Be careful about promises regarding teaching at the ag school, too. If it's difficult to get into flying ag...what kind of experience do you suppose is appropriate to teach people to fly ag? If you survive your first thousand or two hours of ag, then consider looking into teaching it...but that's still entry level experience. Look at it this way; do you want to be taught to fly ag by someone with no experience? Take that question seriously, as though your life depends on it, because it really does.

Typically your first few years doing ag are spent loading and learning the business, eventually flying rinsate and big open fields, and eventually doing jobs on your own...but not really something you take 20 hours of training to do, and then go to work making six figures. Or anything remotely close to it. Not telling you not to pursue your dreams, but be careful doing it, and spending your hard earned cash for promises that traditionally don't add up.

Very well said, Avbug. Yup, ol' Sammy boy left the country and is in Belize now... still screwing anyone dumb enough to come down there. I made the mistake of going through his program back in '90. Pretty much a sham of an operation. Luckily I had a couple of friends in the business that set me straight, let me work for them on the ground a couple of seasons to learn the basics and get some Ag Cat time under my belt, and helped me get into my first entry level seat. He talks a good game about all he claims to have accomplished as an ag pilot, a military officer, etc. Mostly BS from one of the biggest a$$holes I have ever met in my life.

you guys rock, ag flying is true flying,more power to all of you ! Godspeed !

The instructing opportunity I was speaking of would only be for the ab-initio guys to get their private or commercial. Most likely all in taildraggers. That's where the banner towing (TW experience) comes into play.

To tell you the truth, I'm not going that route. I'd rather not relocate to south Georgia. I need a stable career with benefits. It's just that I have some family that does it so I thought I'd look into it.

All the info you folks have supplied is great. Thanks.

Ag airplanes do.

Tracks. Skips. Cuts. Gouges. Scars.

And big gaping holes where power lines used to be.

avbug said:
Ag airplanes do.

Tracks. Skips. Cuts. Gouges. Scars.

And big gaping holes where power lines used to be.

Hey, have not seen you arround much AV Bug? Where you been!!!!

And big gaping holes where friends used to be too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back