Crop Dusting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DO328FLYER said:
Airlines, especially regionals, are not the end all be all. If you like to wear polyester, and still make $26k after 5 years at the company then go for it.

26K after 5 years??? Wouldn't you be better off at WalMart??? I honestly do not understand why pilots have to spend TWICE the amount of money on their education than does a college graduate, only to end up earning about as much as a WalMart shelf-stocker. Seriously, can someone enlighten me???

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten back to your PM yet. I think one of the above posters said it best when he said that the ag business is like 911. Farmers only call when they have an emergency or have no other option. The total acres sprayed is way way off from what it once was. There are lots of ag pilots out there making that 25k that you are making now. And they don't have any benefits at all. No health insurance, dissability, retirement, or any of the other things that people sometimes overlook. Having said that, there are still a few jobs out there that pay pretty well if you can wait around long enough for the guy flying it to retire. If you want to do it bad enough, you can. But please understand that it is very, very tough. Personally, I have been trying to get out of the ag business. Have been in it all my life and have spent many seasons going back and forth. I guess the grass is always greener. I just left a six figure spraying job to go to work for a regional. And I couldn't be happier. Money aint everything.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know. I know just about everyone in the business in Texas.

I'll take that six figure job. Money ain't everything, but spraying is much better flying than most, and peopled by folks I'd much rather be around...and I can buy a lot of gum balls for six figures.

Maybe even afford that subscription to Playboy, after all these years...

UnAnswerd said:
26K after 5 years??? Wouldn't you be better off at WalMart??? I honestly do not understand why pilots have to spend TWICE the amount of money on their education than does a college graduate, only to end up earning about as much as a WalMart shelf-stocker. Seriously, can someone enlighten me???

PFT????

DO328FLYER said:
Airlines, especially regionals, are not the end all be all. If you like to wear polyester, and still make $26k after 5 years at the company then go for it. The truthis it does not take much of a pilot to fly a glass cockpit airplane. Frankly, it is pretty boring going to the same cities over & over. I think I am heading back to a flying job that involved actually flying the airplane. I always swore that when I no longer looked forward to going to work it would be time to move on. I love flying way to much to put myself in a job that I dread going to. The last thing I want to be is a miserable old captain who wishes he had changed gears years ago.....

Ok, what regional do you fly for that makes 26k after 5 years?

bugchaser said:
If you have any more specific questions, let me know. I know just about everyone in the business in Texas.

If you like flying small planes you could try your hand as a ferry pilot. The pay varies as does the work but it's a lot of fun. Speaking of which, BugChaser, I was ferrying a plane thru Texas and I stayed overnight at Quanah TX. The nice old man that ran the FBO there had a spray buisness. I forget his name but he tossed me the keys to his Cadillac and pointed me towards town. He didn't even ask my name. You meet the nicest people at small airports!

Add Stuttgart, AR to your list also. I believe crop dusting is their mainstay there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back