Crop Dusting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DO328FLYER

Any Ag pilots out there??? I am thinking about getting back into it, and am wondering hhow the business is these days. Regional flying is not doing it for me anymore. Thanks for any replies.

I used to spray in the upper midwest. Ag-pilots up here are a 911 service any more. They are the absolute last option. If you are willing to follow the work I think you could stay busy. I'm also at a regional now. Although it has it's share of problems, I would much rather be where I'm at as opposed to out playing with the wires, towers, and trees.

I have a ton of time in Ag Cats, Ag Huskies, and Pawnees but all towing, not dusting, I think it would be a ton of fun to do. Plus you can go make six figures and get shot at in Columbia. lol.

The ag industry has been depressed for some time now. Chemigation is the in thing. You indicated that you're thinking of getting back into ag, which suggests you've sprayed before. If you already have spray experience then the insurance roadblocks shouldn't be an issue...you know the drill. Visit ever ag operator with a hand out until someone picks you up. As always.

Christ, things must be worse than I thought. You want to leave an airline job to spray crops in small little airplane???

I wish I could stay in "small" airplanes my whole career. Who wants to ride along in some jet all day.

avbug said:
The ag industry has been depressed for some time now. Chemigation is the in thing. You indicated that you're thinking of getting back into ag, which suggests you've sprayed before. If you already have spray experience then the insurance roadblocks shouldn't be an issue...you know the drill. Visit ever ag operator with a hand out until someone picks you up. As always.

It is a sad state. :(
I turned down a job a couple years ago that would have brought me back into it.
Kinda glad I did, as the airplanes pretty much sat all season. It is something I would love to do again, but man...it is more unstable than the airlines. But I don't want to do that either (except for freight), so I guess I am good.

Airlines, especially regionals, are not the end all be all. If you like to wear polyester, and still make $26k after 5 years at the company then go for it. The truthis it does not take much of a pilot to fly a glass cockpit airplane. Frankly, it is pretty boring going to the same cities over & over. I think I am heading back to a flying job that involved actually flying the airplane. I always swore that when I no longer looked forward to going to work it would be time to move on. I love flying way to much to put myself in a job that I dread going to. The last thing I want to be is a miserable old captain who wishes he had changed gears years ago.....

Latest resources

Back