CRJ Steering Failure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JustaNumber

Has anyone experienced a CRJ steering failure with a full uncommanded left or right input? One of our CRJ’s last week had this happen on two consecutive landings, even after tiller and ECU replacement.

Most of the time that I’ve experienced a steering system failure, there’s a caution message, and the steering then just fails to respond to any inputs. It’s just a little unsettling to see that it can fail in an uncommanded runaway mode, especially during landing. Similar experiences, anyone?

Say What?

This happened twice? Where? When? What was the end result? What does mx have to say about it? Were these GCAS A/C by any chance?

-Blucher:eek:

Blucher said:
This happened twice? Where? When? What was the end result? What does mx have to say about it? Were these GCAS A/C by any chance?

-Blucher:eek:

Nope, ship 837, last Friday or Saturday, I believe. First write-up indicated a full left steer during landing. They implied they were able to keep it on the runway, but were unable to reset the system and had to be towed off the runway to the gate. Then the steering tiller and ECU were replaced. Next landing, same thing occurs, but aircraft had slowed enough to stop without incident. This time, system can be reset, and aircraft is taxied to gate. Has this ever happened to you, or anyone else?

RVDT failure down on the nose gear? Who knows. Need better details as to what failure codes MX pulled (if they did) out of the ECU after the first occurance. I have not heard of uncommanded steering, just failure to respond as was mentioned. Good job keeping it on the runway !

Not yet

Nope, hasn't happened to me yet. Of course now that I said that it'll probably happen to me tomorrow. Thank you for the heads up on it. Wonder why we didn't all get a "mandatory read" memo on Flica about it. I guess that just sums up the difference between pilots and management: they put out must reads on their own pompous BS, while we pilots tend to concern ourselves a bit more with safety.:angryfire

-Blucher

JustaNumber said:
Nope, ship 837, last Friday or Saturday, I believe. First write-up indicated a full left steer during landing. They implied they were able to keep it on the runway, but were unable to reset the system and had to be towed off the runway to the gate. Then the steering tiller and ECU were replaced. Next landing, same thing occurs, but aircraft had slowed enough to stop without incident. This time, system can be reset, and aircraft is taxied to gate. Has this ever happened to you, or anyone else?

A "full" displacement of the nosewheel steering on landing? I do believe MTC fixing the wrong parts, though.

RC,

Love that tag line of yours:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Transporting "People of Size" for pennies on the pound...
[/FONT]

Absolutely classic, and yet sadly true.:laugh: :bawling: :puke:

-Blucher

I've had uncommanded flap movement at FL320 in that piece of s**t.....Bombardier claims in can't happen, my a$$.

Latest resources

Back