• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Steering Failure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The other day I was daydreaming in cruise, wondering what that thing would do if the flaps just started up and out. Weird.

And I had three fun flights as well in the barbie jet.

1. front left windshield shattered on descent. (center layer, but cracked the inner)
2. adg auto deploy at fl310 with both gens on line. (I wished for my old dave clarks back that day)
3. double gen failure on rotation with apu defered. (Um, there's that noise again?)

But no steering failures to think of. That part worked better that the auto temp controller.

As a point of reference I flew it for 7 years.

Barbie jets build character!

Last edited:
Had it happen twice in 4 years on the 700. Made the hi-speed each time with rudder and diff-brake, and it reset with the 2 CB's both times. One of our ORD crews wasn't so lucky, and departed the pavement. Happens if you're anywhere NEAR the tiller before all the Prox sensors close on the nose gear. Stay AWAY from the tiller till taxi speed and you'll be fine. There's no need to go diving for the thing before a 90 degree turn is needed anyway.

ReportCanoa said:
The other day I was daydreaming in cruise, wondering what that thing would do if the flaps just started up and out. Weird.

I tell you exactly what happens, first the nose pitches over, then the autopilot trys to compensate, makes for a fun ride.

Next you see the barber-pole screams past your current airspeed and off the charts.....but no overspeed warning.....remember the overspeed chirp is based on flap handle position and flap position, with the flap handle in the 0/up detent, no chirp, just the highspeed barber-pole!

Next you get hydraulic low press on the B pumps.....once again, this is because the flap handle is in the up position, flaps are out and the pumps don't kick on in auto with flaps out......logic gets screwed up....but that's the easy fix...just turn the B pumps for auto to on!

Best thing to do is click it off, slow down and go down! Otherwise you could become a flaming hole in the ground.

For me, they only came out to 8 degrees then back up to 0 degrees....but this happened many many times. I would hate to see if they came all the way out?

Has anyone else witnessed or heard of this??? Bombardier claims it can't happen.....I know it can!

Damn!

And I thought my windshield failure and double gen failure were enough for my gray hair. Glad that never happened to me, and good job recovering from the "can't happen" experience.

I got the big de-brief over the double gen failure. Told me it didn't happen 'cause I reported no EICAS messages till the ADG popped. This was right after the EICAS 2000 mod, and I showed them how it now took an average of 13 seconds for the gen failures to show up on the screen. "Oh, yeah, we'll look in to that" was all they said. If you single engine taxi in to the gate, count how long it takes for the gen caution to show when you cage one of the motors. They never fixed it.

Ralph Cramden said:
dang!

And I thought my windshield failure and double gen failure were enough for my gray hair. Glad that never happened to me, and good job recovering from the "can't happen" experience.

The part I forgot to mention. I had about 50 hours in the airplane and a brand new F/O......If I never fly the POS again, it will be too soon.

smfav8r said:
Ralph Cramden said:
dang!

The part I forgot to mention. I had about 50 hours in the airplane and a brand new F/O......If I never fly the POS again, it will be too soon.

So the FAR that states at least one pilot must have at least 75 hours in type doesn't apply to you?

smfav8r said:
I've had uncommanded flap movement at FL320 in that piece of s**t.....Bombardier claims in can't happen, my a$$.

Memo from Bombardier to all operators today

Recently, an operator reported that the wing flaps of a CRJ200 extended with no command while in cruise flight. The flight crew observed the EICAS flap indication showing an extension of the left flaps to 10 degrees, while experiencing a minor un-commanded roll to the right following autopilot disconnect.
During troubleshooting following the flight, the Flap Electronic Control Unit (FECU) and flap Power Drive Unit (PDU) were replaced. Prior to removal, the fault logs of the FECU were interrogated, and no faults were logged for the applicable flight leg. During a subsequent ferry flight, anomalous EICAS flap indications continued. Final resolution of the issue on the subject aircraft was achieved by replacement of the left Flap Position Transmitter Unit (FPTU).
The investigation of this event has determined that there was NOT an un-commanded flap deployment. What was perceived as a flap deployment was in fact due to an erroneous EICAS indication for the left flap (EICAS flap position indication is independent of the flap control system), coupled with the perception of a sympathetic physical response of the aircraft to the EICAS indication (it is possible for a small amount of roll mistrim to be present during autopilot operation, which can trigger minor rolling movements upon autopilot disengagement until the
aileron trim is adjusted).
While there have been several reported events similar to the one described above, uncommanded flap operation on the CRJ series fleet has never occurred. In all known reported events, the issue was resolved by rectification actions taken for the FPTUs, not for the flap control system.
Bombardier Aerospace will release a Service Letter in the near future to discuss technical details of the issue and to recommend appropriate actions when abnormal EICAS indications for flap position occur.

i feel cheated. except for a low-speed abort for an IDG fault, all I get are autopilots that chase the glide with all the finesse of the Vomit Comet. oh well, i think our fleet still has some of those faulty avionics bay brackets...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back