CRJ Series Icing Concerns and Studys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrickTop

Those of us who fly The CRJ series know of its claimed ability to prevent Ice accumulation on the tailplane an thereby unheated tail surface. Even with over 1000 hrs in type I have spent hours looking for research and testing on this theory and am looking for people with REAL HEAVY icing operational stories and aerodynamic knowledge to offer explanation to this wing design AND your personal experience with its handling of freezing rain sleet ETC. Any links or feedback is appreciated.

Been in heavy icing on several occasions. I have over 5k hours in type. The plane does a great job in icing as long as you follow the manufacturers recommendations. It is a well designed and well built A/C.

The 727 also had no tail anti-icing, because Boeing said aerodynamics were such that ice didn't accumulate there.

Name the jets that have ice protection on the tail? not being a smarty just curious.

Name the jets that have ice protection on the tail? not being a smarty just curious.

EMB 145 has a heated horizontal stabilizer. The vertical is not heated though. It doesn't get ice because the engineers commanded it not to accrete ice.

Tat

I was under the impression that the higher airspeeds caused the surface friction to maintain a temp greater that what is required for ice accumulation to occur. I have forgotten the speed (235 or?) but I alwaysed checked the TAT and it was well above 5 degrees C. Maybe it is simple as that?

Latest resources

Back