• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Series Icing Concerns and Studys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've seen plenty of ice on the vert. and horiz. stabilizers. Supposedly, it’s not that ice will accrete, it’s that it won’t exceed a point that would create a safety hazard. Anyone know what that point is?

I was on the ERJ-135 out of TOL and the engines were icing up. It was fun watching it shed into the engine after the crew turn on the anti-ice!

I've seen plenty of ice on the tail of a CRJ200. I have also flown MU300/BE400's with normal and emergency tail anti-ice/deice. It was so important to keep ice off the tail, that it had an emergency de-ice.

socrates1 said:
I have also flown MU300/BE400's with normal and emergency tail anti-ice/deice. It was so important to keep ice off the tail, that it had an emergency de-ice.

You mean you didn't want to fly a tail-stalled lawn dart when you called for flaps 30?

It does accumulate ice during slower airspeeds in extended icing conditions. I believe this happened with a Skywest crew. Missed approach while flying in icing for a long time. Came back around while staying IFR and had no elevator authority during the flare. That's the scenerio that will get you in trouble. Refer to the QRH for ice removal.

You mean you didn't want to fly a tail-stalled lawn dart when you called for flaps 30?

That's another reason why I hate the beech jet/ diamond.

They'll let you experience at the flight safety in ICT. It's enough to make you remember to pay attention.

The thing was built by the Canadians, the one thing it does well is fly in the winter. Wait unless its too cold then the flaps fail and we get to land at 170 somthing kias.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back