• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ air cond w/huffer cart?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep. And when you finally apply take-off power, the ducts purge into the cabin and it smells like something is burning, big time.

(so I've heard)

Clapped-out air-start machines like the ones typically inherited by the "regionals" have seals from about 1972 which seal......um......nothing.

Thus, the combustion fumes make their way from the pistons all the way thru the crankcase seals into the compressor where they infuse the pack air with the concentrated aroma of an oily diesel clanker.

This exact topic came up today in training. Straight from the Bombardier man himself, he said not to do this as it is too much pressure for the packs to handle. He also said it smells like dirty a$$!

Too much pressure? The engines on a CRJ200 at take-off power produce over 100 psi on the 10th stage, which is far more than any huffer I've ever seen. It's also why the packs have Pressure Regulating Shut-Off Valves (PRSOV's) which maintain about 30 psi normally.

I'd agree using a bottle to run the packs smells bad, but I've never had a problem with a huffer unless it was poorly maintained.

Tell your Bombardier man to try again.

What bottle are you guys talking about? Oxygen bottles/fire surpression bottles? (not that I think that) Just a little confused.

What bottle are you guys talking about?

Air start bottles. A big air tank on wheels, used to air-start the engines when the APU is inop. It uses a smaller air compressor that wouldn't be strong enough to start the engines on its own, but is used to charge up the big air bottle, which is used for engine start. Then it has to be recharged, which takes a while...

Air start bottles. A big air tank on wheels, used to air-start the engines when the APU is inop. It uses a smaller air compressor that wouldn't be strong enough to start the engines on its own, but is used to charge up the big air bottle, which is used for engine start. Then it has to be recharged, which takes a while...

Ok what happens if they have a double and its not recharged? Thats crazy

Ok what happens if they have a double and its not recharged?

Somebody's probably going to be delayed, but not by 45 minutes, especially if it's a small airplane. An RJ isn't going to deplete the whole air charge.

The odds of a small outstation handling two planes with inoperative APUs at the same time are pretty slim anyway. And a bigger station/hub will have multiple air bottles, a huffer cart (which has a much more powerful compressor that can supply that air continuously), or both.

Thats crazy
No, that's balancing cost versus benefit. (Same reason I don't drive an Excursion around, just in case I might want to buy a boat some day.) A huffer cart is a lot more expensive than an air bottle.

Last edited:
You get one plane started up then hook a hose up between the two to "jumpstart" the second plane.

I'd forgotten about that option. Has anybody actually done this yet.

Too bad the RJ doesn't have a hood on the nose that you can prop up just for asthetics.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back