• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ air cond w/huffer cart?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you really want to try something fun, run the packs off the bottle! Yah 45 min. to recharge.

....and no it was not me.

DCI is getting air in ATL. Heard that before, but it actually looks like they are doing it.
On top of that they are extending the hoses on A and B concourses to get to the back of the 700.

I've done it several times before ASA said not to do it any more. You just need to make sure the huffer is on high and not idle. If it's idling then you'll get the fumes.

Then you get to hear that thing whining the whole time you're sitting at the gate. I'd rather be warm or start #2 to get some airflow.

Then you get to hear that thing whining the whole time you're sitting at the gate. I'd rather be warm or start #2 to get some airflow.

Listening to the engine whine is much quieter? Plus huffer carts don't burn 400 lbs/hr.

i think the planeload of business-types in their suits would object to this theory.

this was an 80 degree day also. if it was an August summer day i'm sure a mutiny would've ensued.

it can be a challenge to get rampers to spool up the huffer in order to operate the packs. it is a loud machine at engine start settings, but it's an airport - they are loud by nature. as mentioned, i'd rather have the huffer blowing the packs than a gas-gulping jet engine at a relatively high fuel flow rate.

thanks to all for the feedback on the topic. just trying to keep cool on the commute and improve the company product.

Plus the 50 seater engine at idle will not cool down the cabin at all.

definitely. this particular CRJ had no airflow from the overhead vents until the engines were spooled well above taxi settings. i think there were several factors in play and perhaps a majority of the air cond system was MEL'd.

hopefully it was fixed soon. the only time i've refused a plane was due to oppressively uncomfortable air condtioning. sometimes that's what it takes to get the rig fixed.

This exact topic came up today in training. Straight from the Bombardier man himself, he said not to do this as it is too much pressure for the packs to handle. He also said it smells like dirty a$$!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back