• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ-900 Landing technique

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since the 9 is a "heavy" RJ, the best technique is to land it exactly like a real "heavy" airliner, since all you guys are trying your best to impersonate one with how you talk on the radio and taxi around with your oversteer turns and dramatic turns to on the hold.

Ok, gotta argue the last one. I will never give anyone a hard time for using every available foot of the runway, whether it "looks" funny or not.

-JP

Here's the deets on the "9"....

1- Put on epaulets backwards. This will help your shoulders relax in the flare by taking all that pressure of flying "a small plane" off your mind.

2- Make certain to use at least 2 octaves lower when speaking to the passengers prior to landing. Using "ahhhhh" and "up here on the flight deck" allows for bonus points with the starstruck ladies in the back.

3- After 400 hours of prop time, this regional hired you to perfect your crosswind landing with passengers in the back. If they can't handle a little sideload now and then, it's their problem not yours.

Ok, I'll bite. Like the 700 the technique is most critical in the flare. The mains in the the 700 and 900 are not as forgiving as in the 200. When you flare in the 700 and 900 you are essentially rotating the mains into the ground, so the trick is to have a gentle flare and then slowly release back pressure to stop the rotation of the flare. This is preferable within 5 feet of the ground or you risk a very unpleasant touchdown. As you release the back pressure just fly the nose with the threashold at the opposite end of the runway until you touchdown. Don't touch the power until about 20, or 10 feet. I know some guys that will nearly touchdown with power. And if done correctly you will still be in the touchdown zone.

This is simply meaningless technique since you can find something that works for you in these aircraft and 2 out 5 times it just won't work out for ya.

Last edited:
Flying the "9" is best done in the middle of the air. Be careful around the edges.

Aim for the ground and miss...

I did that last night in a 700. With nobody behind us, the controller thought it would be a good idea to clear someone into position and hold while on a 2 mile final. Cleared them to go when we were at a 1/2 mile. Needless to say my flare was excessive and accompanied by a lot of power.

Flare? I gave up on fairing when Fast Freddy talked the rest of you dumb asses into taking that pay freeze. We already have the passengers money, and last I looked they don't give refunds for bad landings.

I did that last night in a 700. With nobody behind us, the controller thought it would be a good idea to clear someone into position and hold while on a 2 mile final. Cleared them to go when we were at a 1/2 mile. Needless to say my flare was excessive and accompanied by a lot of power.

Amateur. Keep working at it, you'll eventually get the knack for flying a "heavy."

Same as the 700. Just keep the power in until the 10' call.

I find keeping the power in that long leads to excessive floating. I start taking power out at 50feet with the throttles idle by 20-10feet, depending on weight.

Latest resources

Back