• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 Type Will it help with a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When will people realize there aren't short cuts in this industry, and the short cuts that are out there (PFT, etc.) hurt rather than help... Don't be in such a rush to get that elusive "real job". How about you use the money to get a MEI, obtain real world experience (you know, something that might actually help when you do get that "real job"). I can also tell you as previously mentioned, if your co-workers on the line find out you went out and got a RJ type with 700 hours, hold on the for the mocking that is inevitable.

take that money and get that degree, you dont want your app to land in the no degree pile which happens to be next to the trash can.

Do they even consider guys without degrees anymore? Its not like the 1960s where all you had to do was get 1000 hours in anything with wings and Eastern would pick ya up. Man those guys had it made.

Good luck!

PS: If you have natural 20/20, go military and let the government flip the bill. Still however, you need a 4 year degree in anything.

Last edited:
What will open the most doors?

I think it is commonly agreed that a type with no time is worthless. It just sickens me to see these big schools offering glass cockpit or rj training for the price of the down payment on a dream home. For that money you'd be better off going to Europe and getting your JAA certs as they hire people with extremely low time over there.

So on to the constructive advice. You can't ever go wrong adding an instructor rating (MEI, II). As a low time pilot multi-time is valuable not only to employers but to yourself. You learn so much on IFR X-Country flights.

Most airlines do want their hard minumums 1000, 1200, etc. but others will consider lower total with higher multi. That being said 100 multi, really isn't that much, though it does check off one more box. If the mesaba thing doesn't go through consider other turboprop regionals that consistently hire with your time. I know great lakes published mins are 750/50. Others are Skyway, Commutair, Colgan. These are not necessarily your 1st tier regionals, but you don't have 1st tier qualifications. These can be a good stepping stone, or you might decide to stay for quick upgrades and PIC time.

Good Luck
P.S. Maybe you could do your MEI with ATPs and instruct for them, quick multi and total time.

Thanks for the advice....Good stuff. One more question? I live in MSP and am also trying to figure out what is a reasonable distance to commute. IE..would Denver work with Great Lakes? Or is ever company a little different?

1979...Bemidji Aviation is hiring.

Lots of multi time there.

Or, just get your MEI.

All of those are going to looked upon as higher quality.

Not sure...

Then, all I can say is that you'll need to start instructing then.
Earn an MEI. That gets you multi-time.

Seems to have worked for thoudsands of others.

aviatorman_1979 said:
Here's my deal. I started flying in Part 61 for my private...went to FSI for everything else through my CFII and got hired there around 9/11. Ended up waiting too long for standardization and moved back to Minnesota and instructed at a local FBO until January. I've been away from it for since then and now wanna get back into it but not drag it out. I have 700 total and 60 multi (no degree as of yet) and am trying to decide whether the type rating in a CRJ 200 that Regiona Airline Academy promises will make me more marketable even to airlines outside of there alliances. Or if I should got to ATP grab and MEI, buy enough multi time to get me over that 100mark and rely have a buddy of mine who is friends with the chief pilot at Mesaba throw it on his desk? is 750/and 100 enough with an in house recommendation or do I need to hit 1000 realisticaly? It's definately a lot cheaper going with plan B.

How about taking the route that requires more effort, not just money? Isn't there some sort of cliche about the more you put into something the more you get out of it? I suggest beating feet down to the local flight schools and instructing to get your total time near the competitive range. Might not be as "fun" as cruising around in a seminole (or going to 'CRJ school') on your own dime, but you will gain valuable experience. This is because you are the one ultimately making the decisions while interacting with another human being while working towards a goal (I know, it's a run on sentence). Flying just to build time is somewhat valuable, but flying for a purpose forces you do learn how to really think, make decisions, and ultimately get the job done safely and legally. That is important stuff.

As for the CRJ type, I think it is worthless. Some companies might cut you a little slack with their minimum time requirements, but the key word is might. If you go ahead and get the type, you will:
- know more about a CRJ
- not know any more about operating in the real world than you do now
- have no time in the actual airplane
- have a lot more debt, and
- still not be proficient in the airplane

My advice is to get your resume out to companies that you want to work for, continue to get real world experience and PIC time (even if it is instructing in a 152), study, network, and repeat. Opportunities to fly 'bigger and better' airplanes will come with time. Good luck to you.

IF you do you have a type rating in anything just be prepared to get hammered on during the interview. They will ask you so much $hit about the a/c that you are typed in. Its a waste!! (unless you crap money then go ahead and waste away)

Latest resources

Back