• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 Type Will it help with a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my deal. I started flying in Part 61 for my private...went to FSI for everything else through my CFII and got hired there around 9/11. Ended up waiting too long for standardization and moved back to Minnesota and instructed at a local FBO until January. I've been away from it for since then and now wanna get back into it but not drag it out. I have 700 total and 60 multi (no degree as of yet) and am trying to decide whether the type rating in a CRJ 200 that Regiona Airline Academy promises will make me more marketable even to airlines outside of there alliances. Or if I should got to ATP grab and MEI, buy enough multi time to get me over that 100mark and rely have a buddy of mine who is friends with the chief pilot at Mesaba throw it on his desk? is 750/and 100 enough with an in house recommendation or do I need to hit 1000 realisticaly? It's definately a lot cheaper going with plan B.

Buying a Type Rating without any time in Type, is a complete waste of money (EXCEPT to apply to SWA, then you need a B-737 Type)... As far as the airlines are concerned, they don't care if you have a Type Rating or not...

Save you money... Get your MEI, teach in a twin and let others pay for your multi-time...

PSA will take people with CRJ training with less time than 1000/100 or whatever their mins are. It's not worthless, but the cost-benefit of it just isn't that great.

If you've got the $$ buring a hole in your pocket, buy more piston twin time so you can apply to more than one regional (i.e. PSA).

~wheelsup

save that money to live off. Do you know what RJ FO's make these days?

plus, I cant imagine the $hit you would catch once your co-workers knew you bought an RJ rating.

:( ...

Thanks...I've slowly been figuring that out. One other question: for instance if minimums are 1000/100...and as I stated I'm at 700/60...does having more multi time than the minimum allow them to maybe be flexible by 50 or 100hrs on total time. For instance: having 800/200 vs 900/100??

More multi will NEVER hurt you...personally I think 100 or 200 multi opens more doors than overall TT *to a point*, depending on your situation. I think if you are right on the borderline, some companies will look at your time and see if it is C-150 or something more complex. This has been the case for me a couple times, both for jobs and insurance requirements.

You might be able to find a 135 SIC gig with your time if you look hard enough; often you don't get a 'cool' uniform or good QOL but it'll be a means to an end.

Good luck!

i thought FSI had you doing almost all of your training in seminoles -- instrument through commercial multi? i woulda thought you'd have more than 60hrs multi..

All of it is done but that's the time you end up with....I did my multi, instrument, and multi commercial all in the Seminole and finished with 60.8 hrs exactly. The only way to really come out of there is with a lot of multi is if your instructing...and then it's still tough because of politics.

What part of Mn are you from?

Mankato:)

Fixer
aviatorman_1979 said:
All of it is done but that's the time you end up with....I did my multi, instrument, and multi commercial all in the Seminole and finished with 60.8 hrs exactly. The only way to really come out of there is with a lot of multi is if your instructing...and then it's still tough because of politics.

Latest resources

Back