• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ-200 Sim Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any advise on flying the CRJ-200 Sim is much appreciated.

I am impressed, you don't have CRJ listed under your profile. Keep this up and you will make it to the line.

Good Luck....

Best advice i can give is to know the profiles inside and out. Expect the next step. If you are waiting for the next callout then you will fly through training.

Don't ask why. Just do what you are told. Too many guys have been sunk by their own need to know why. You'll understand the BS later.

Ain't that the truth. Applies to much of the ground school and all of the sim training.

An example of me learning this concept the hard way:
"Well I thought that if I did this then it would...."
"Come on man! You're not supposed to think right now. Just do what you are told!"

Another thing you don't want to hear:
"We don't make excuses. Understood?"

The more moments you have like this the closer you are to making a training dept list you don't want to be on.

I learned to lay low and the importance of the "keep it simple stupid" concept (k.i.s.s.) It will improve your focus and confidence to shut up and not think about things too much.

Alright, who wants to give some good advice on maneuvering stalls. That one can be a royal pain in the ass to nail with very little or no altitude loss in the CRJ sim.

Position the armrests so you can lock your elbows against them. Very important for steep turns. 2 degrees nose up pitch for roll in and out of turn, 2.5 degrees pitch up in the turn.

Stalls - The CRJ has enough power to recover without any altitude loss. The trick is to memorize the profiles and callouts well, then figure out the necessaary elevator back pressure to stay in the flight director. Too little and you will lose more than the requisite 100' in recovery, too much and you will enter a secondary stall followed by stick pusher and the ragdoll oscillation phenomenon. Just right and you may or may not get the stick shaker, if so don't freak out, but don't let it get ANY slower.

On V1 cuts, you will start to veer towards the dead engine. If you rotate while veering you will strike a wing tip and crash. You must take off in a forward slip where the correct amount of rudder is that which alligns you with the centerline. You don't have to return to the centerline, just get parallel with it before you rotate. After you break ground adjust rudder pressure to center the ball and make sure to keep it centered for every speed, power, or config change.

On landings you will usually have 8-10 knots of crosswind programmed in, but unlike the real world it won't kick in until you're 100' agl. You have to anticipate it.

There are 3 types of V1 cuts, a flameout, a thrust reverser deploy, and a fire/severe damage scenario. Its important to recognize which failure you're dealing with, not only because the memory items and checklists are different, but because the aircraft performance is different. A flameout results in single engine climb performance, no big deal, it actually gives you more time to deal with the correct procedures for each climb segment. A thrust reverser deployment is next to zero climb performance, a bigger deal, managing V2 and coordinantion is critical. An engine fire usually is the highest workload, because you have to put out the fire while maintaining situational awareness of your climb segments and config changes.

You will have a profile for a missed approach and a profile for a V1 engine fire. You may or may not have a profile for an engine fire at the moment you go missed but you will be required to do them simultaneously, daunting if you're not prepared, perfectly manageable if you are.

The CRJ is very easy to fly when things are going right. In the sim everything is going wrong and Crew Coordination is paramount. You and your partner must both be well prepared and choreographed. When I did my 1900 FO to CRJ FO transition I was prepared but the guy next to me who was doing the 1900 CA to CRJ CA transition was not. It wasn't pretty. Unlikely, but if you have a problem with either your partner or your instructor make sure you speak up.

Its all a computer game. Once you know what inputs give the result desired, just keep doing it and its a piece of cake!

Ain't that the truth.
Alright, who wants to give some good advice on maneuvering stalls. That one can be a royal pain in the ass to nail with very little or no altitude loss in the CRJ sim.

1. Max power means MAX POWER. Firewall those bad boys and let the non-flying pilot worry about limitations. And do it the second you get the slightest tremor in the yoke.

2. Get the thing rolled out before sync-ing the heading bug.

3. Fly those command bars like your life depends on it. Getting behind them right before the stall means you'll probably "jerk" it up right before the stall, making it harder to recover. HINT: the autopilot does this better than you, use it!

(If you're in the Alaska CRJ700 sim in SEA, all bets are off. A 700 stall should be a piece of cake, but I'll be damned if I could ever recover w/o losing 100+feet and hitting the yoke stop in that P.O.S.)

Hmm..interesting. We weren't allowed to kick on the autopilot until we had the altitude stable again. Heading sync and heading mode were called after the whole positive rate flaps 8 gear up thing so you fly with no command bars for a little. Also the autopilot had to be turned off before passing down through the Vref speed bug, call flight director off, and turn into the 20 degree bank. This is maneuvering stall not landing or clean.

The hardest part for me was staying on the edge of the stick shaker for the recovery and not letting the nose drop especially while reaching to throw in max thrust.

That reminds me. Some good sim advice - keep your seat in a very forward position to avoid having the the yoke dip on reaching for max thrust. I was in one of the CAE CRJ200 sims down in Charlotte and the idea was to hold around a 5 degree nose up pitch throughout the recovery.

Go forward really fast. If anything gets in your way....

Turn.

That's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that.

"He snorts nasal spray? Know where I can score some?"

"I want my two dollars!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back