• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Edge540

For those who fly the CRJ-200:

You are probably aware that when:

Low Pressure Air Cart + Right Pack Engaged = Higher Airflow through the flight deck gaspers

The higher airflow happens ONLY when the right pack is engage, ie. the left pack is off. It does not matter if the APU is on or off, and the position of the load control valve / isolation valve does not affect the results. Pack pressure reads zero during this condition.

Anyone know exactly what is happening to cause the higher airflow?

I thought there was a low (normal) and high flow rates on the CR2. I.e 30 PSI on dual pack and 45 PSI on single pack, thus your answer. This should work with either pack off.

I thought there was a low (normal) and high flow rates on the CR2. I.e 30 PSI on dual pack and 45 PSI on single pack, thus your answer. This should work with either pack off.

That was my original thought but.. Pack pressure indicates ZERO, on both packs, when the air is blowing like hell. It only works with the left pack OFF and the right pack ENGAGED.

Pack pressure is regulated by the PROSV. In the event of a pack failure, the PRSOV increases the available air pressure to the operating pack. Therefore it does not apply in this situation, because the increased airflow only happens when Pack 2 is engaged, and Pack 1 is off. If the PRSOV came into play here, it would work with either pack 1 or 2 engaged.

There is something else going on back there, and I'm just trying to figure out what.

Is that you H. H?

I have brown hair ;)

I seriously doubt that this is true, but a Captain told me when those Canadians designed this plane that passenger comfort was number 1. It is something in the design that gets the pack(#2) to get going before #1. I remember sitting on the ramp at MCO with a cart hooked up and the temp in the cabin being about 10-15 degrees cooler then up front. Like I said I really don't know but just some B.S. info.

I seriously doubt that this is true, but a Captain told me when those Canadians designed this plane that passenger comfort was number 1. It is something in the design that gets the pack(#2) to get going before #1. I remember sitting on the ramp at MCO with a cart hooked up and the temp in the cabin being about 10-15 degrees cooler then up front. Like I said I really don't know but just some B.S. info.

HA HA HA. :laugh: Stop already. HA HA HA. :laugh: My sides are hurting.:laugh:

Yup, another part of that 'passenger comfort' was ensuring that passengers would be forced to twist their necks down just to look out the window. :laugh:

How about something to do with the right pack distributing 70% to the cabin, 30% to the cockpit (L pack is the opposite)

How about the packs run off high pressure air, not low. It sounds like in you senario the pack is off. Perhaps some how opening the right prsov blocks airflow to the cabin (75% of the right pack goes to the cabin) and forces it into the left side manifold (75% of which goes to the cockpit). To run the packs off external air you need the noisy type high pressure air cart and I don't think anyone normally does this. The low pressure preconditioned air bypasses the packs. If I understand you correctly.

Latest resources

Back