• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 climb performance in Summer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And then when you speed up N1 goes down because the fans have so much drag. Airplanes climb thanks to excess thrust. The CRJ has no excess thrust. Its a miracle they certified the damn thing

That's not correct...at least not on the -700. If you're too heavy for the altitude you pop in (like FL400 or 410), it'll give that message.

That is correct, with a caveat, you must enter the actual temperature (ISA+) in the performance page in order for the FMS to calculate the max altitude properly. At my company we aren't supposed to use the FMS performance data anyway, but it's good to know the airplane thinks it will make it.

That is correct, with a caveat, you must enter the actual temperature (ISA+) in the performance page in order for the FMS to calculate the max altitude properly. At my company we aren't supposed to use the FMS performance data anyway, but it's good to know the airplane thinks it will make it.

You're right. Eagle doesn't let us use it either. I agree that it's a nice little backup to our thought process, though.

DJSK,

That is not why the N1 goes down when you accelerate. Think it through a little bit.

GCD

Have regularly climbed the -200 at 250/.7?
I have as that's my companies profile. I find I have the ability to climb to filed altitudes with a comfortable buffer. Perhaps my point of contention is with the term of higher flight level. If the -200 won't make it to a particularly high altitude at one speed, it likely won't or shouldn't be at attempted at any other. When however it's operated within it's proper (not it's certified) envelope, 250 to .7 provides a much better climb rate than 290 to .7 and provides more than an adequate level of safety.

GCD

Have regularly climbed the -200 at 250/.7?
I have as that's my companies profile. I find I have the ability to climb to filed altitudes with a comfortable buffer. Perhaps my point of contention is with the term of higher flight level. If the -200 won't make it to a particularly high altitude at one speed, it likely won't or shouldn't be at attempted at any other. When however it's operated within it's proper (not it's certified) envelope, 250 to .7 provides a much better climb rate than 290 to .7 and provides more than an adequate level of safety.

Not to mention, you tend to exceed the historic credit more often................

290kias until FL200 - then VS 500ft/min the rest of the way up.

The rest of the way up to what? Isn't that exactly what those Pinnacle guys did: instead of flying the climb profile they climbed to 410 at 500 ft/min; until arriving at 410 behind the power curve?

Nothing we operate climbs well in the 30's when we're heavy and it's hot. Be careful about making up your own rules lest you too become the subject of an NTSB report and your memory the subject of derision on FI

Latest resources

Back