• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beechnut

Ndugu's Foster Dad
Dear xxxxx:

Thank you for your e-mail about the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) implementation of CrewPass, a program that will facilitate pilot security screening.

TSA recently announced that it will begin a pilot program of CrewPass at two airports, including Denver International Airport. You can rest assured that I will be monitoring the implementation and success of this program over the coming months.

Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Ken Salazar
United States Senator

Please do not respond to this email. To send another message please visit my website at http://salazar.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm and fill out the webform for a prompt response. Thank you.

Hi!

How it works now:
U go to security, and see a TSA guy at a computer. Show them your CASS ID, and a 2nd, gov't photo ID.

They confirm U in CASS, and send U to the gate. No Security Screening at all.

cliff
YIP
PS-Nat'l TSA guy said no gate pass required at ANY airport in the US. Trying to get his email, as he said if U have a problem anywhere, email him and he will try to fix it.

So you have to be in CASS correct to get CrewPass, plus since you cant CASS without a PassPort, theres your 2nd government-issued photo ID.

Hook a brutha up!

So you have to be in CASS correct to get CrewPass, plus since you cant CASS without a PassPort, theres your 2nd government-issued photo ID.

Hook a brutha up!

I have jumpseated in the last month twice without getting asked for my passport. Even though I was in the cabin both times, "CASS approved" was written on the slip.

I have jumpseated in the last month twice without getting asked for my passport. Even though I was in the cabin both times, "CASS approved" was written on the slip.
I've been "CASS Approved" a couple of times with no passport check on an OAL jumpseat over the last few months. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm..."

So they are testing two airports and DEN is one of them...what is the other? I'm halfway tempted to go test it out and see if they only gave the access to the pilots...or if us CASS-approved dirty DXer's show up in their system as well. I mean...it doesn't matter to me either way...but I'm interested in seeing if they're just piggybacking CASS at the checkpoints.

(Cue the guy that will be really pissed at the idea of a DXer having the same accesses as a pilot in 3, 2, 1...)

Last edited:
Passport isn't required any longer. Some airlines systems though are set up to only allow cockpit jumpseating after checking passport. The TSA doesn't require the airlines to check the passport though the airlines can make rules above those required by the TSA. So bring your passport.

I've been "CASS Approved" a couple of times with no passport check on an OAL jumpseat over the last few months. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm..."

The events of 911 seem to be slipping from some of these gate agent's minds as more and more time goes by. Gate agents should be checking passports very closely every time when approving pilots to ride in the cockpit under CASS rules.
This happened to me in Raleigh recently when I was signing up for a jumpseat. An agent approved me to ride CASS and she didn't bother to check my passport. I politely presented it too her and made her check it.

At least at my last reading, the Operations Specification permitting CASS (A048) states a passport IS required.

This happened to me in Raleigh recently when I was signing up for a jumpseat. An agent approved me to ride CASS and she didn't bother to check my passport. I politely presented it too her and made her check it.
Has happened to me in DEN and DFW...I've reacted the same way both times. I hand them the passport and they say "Oh, I don't need it...", so I remind them that they do.

The passport is not required for jumpseat any longer. The passport was originally needed because some airlines could not transmit and or receive the pictures. The passport was used in lieu of a picture at the time to reconcile the passport number with the CASS approval received from your carrier for airlines that were unable the photo.

The FAA/TSA instituted a deadline that all CASS carriers had to transmit and receive pictures. Once this was implemented the passport became a non-issue as the passport information is no longer transmitted. The CSR is looking at your photo from your id on their screen. Unless that specific carrier wishes to see the passport for another form of ID the passport is redundant to the process.

Latest resources

Back