Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rightrudder is right on.

rightrudder said:
Grow up guys. There are plenty of jerks out there, male or female. Just cause someone who acts like a jerk is female, you don't need to use it as fodder for sexist remarks.

Absolutely. There are lots of women who are great pilots and fun to be around. Sure, there are some pilots with chips on their shoulder or have something to prove, but women don't have a monopoly on that problem.

Right Rudder,

I agree with you about the petty sexist remarks. Except the years that I spent at JAL, I have flown with many, many women in both airline and military operations. Most are great to fly with and some need a little help. I don't think that is any different from flying with a man. Most are great to fly with and some need a little help.

I think the penis envy is usually generated by the 20ish to 30ish male, in my observation. Although, I am hearing less "empty kitchen" remarks on the radio, it is still there and I know who is saying it. It's not professional.

On the other hand, I don't agree with you about letting it go, and here's my reasoning.

Cheap, petty back-stabbing has no place in the operations area. If she wants to go home or to a party and bad mouth the entire roster, it's her right to do so, but not on company property. It can lead to a breakdown in company morale and erode flight deck performance, which can eventually have dire cosequences.

I don't think, however, he should approach this person in a hostile manner. I think he should think about what he will say, and politely let her know that he feels badly about offending her, and he wants to make it right between them. Bingo! She's been put on notice that she didn't get away with her petty crap, but he is willing to be a professional about it. It is a lesson in maturity for the both of them. One gets experience in dealing with conflict. The other gets a lesson in opening her trap in the wrong place (maybe).

Just my opinion. However, as a CP, if you came to my office with it, I'd throw you out and say work on it yourself. That's just me, though. Todays CP may have to contact HR to determine if this is sexual harassment. It will get blown out of porportion, and both reputations ruined.

Last edited:
Not necessarily

GCD said:
It's not a pro standards issue unless she is doing something all fouled up in flight.

Personally, I think this is exactly a Professional Standards issue.

If it's her problem, they may have complaints from other FOs. If it's his problem, they may have complaints from other Captains. Either way, the union gets some more data points to figure out the source and address it.

It's not just about getting along. The concept is to fix the problem before it becomes a safety of flight issue. It's not a single pilot airplane and both pilots have to be on the same team when operating in dicey conditions.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's not a pro standards issue until the two people at least attempt to have a discussion. If the FO gets nowhere with the captain, ok, time to think about pro standards. But until then, work out your differences directly.

When a similar situation happened to me I thought of these words of wisdom:

"In this life you don't have to prove nothing to nobody--except yourself."

Latest resources

Back