Crewmember Criticism!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Ameriagle,

The exact same thing happend to me last month. Out of nowhere the FA came to me and told me how the CA was bad mouthing my flying in the crew room to another CA. He didn;t mention my name in the conversation probably cause the other CA didnt ask it. Nevertheless I was dumbfounded and pissed!

We had a de-brief on a earlier pairing but sorted it out. Then the next pairing starts and I get this crewroom gosip - you can criticze my personality but if you have a problem with my flying it's in both of our best interest and SAFETY to discuss it.

I steamed on down to the aircraft, a million things I wanted to say. In fact I decided he could fly every leg since I obviously had problems. After the pre flight you could cut the tention in the cockpit with a knife.

I got my wits up and confronted the issue. I used CRM and was diplomatic - basically I told him if he has a problem with my flying he needs to tell me and not others. We can always do a better job but need constructive criticism to achieve this. I'm in no position to fly if I know I don't have the respect of the person sitting next to me - it's uncomfortable, stressful and more importantly, UNSAFE.

Although I know I was the responsible one in this situation I didn't try to make the CA aware of this fact. Since I had never had any problems in 3 years I knew it was him and not me that had the problems. Nevertheless, our discussion worked out, we broke the ice and ended the month very amicably.

Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for weighing in and offering your feedback. It has been extremely helpful. I like the idea of getting it out in the open in the form of a question. What can I do to make myself a better First Officer? Any specific recommendations or CRITICISMS? Hopefully that will get any issue she may have out into the open. If I choose my words carefully I think I can make subtle references to her crewroom conversation. Let her know that I am aware of what was said but in a subtle, non threatening way. I think she is insecure enough that if I question her directly it will just put her on the defensive and accomplish exactly nothing. If anything it may make the situation worse.

As I look at the type of Captain I would like to be in the future I have been exposed to a shining example of exactly what I DONT want to be. I can finish my last trip with respect for the position she is in as Captain. I have absolutely no reason to believe that we cannot share a cockpit and get the job done in a safe and civil(civil yes...professional no-I don't consider her one) manner. I have absolutely no respect for this individual and doubt my opinion of her can ever be repaired. Thanks everyone for the feedback I will post again when I finish my trip. Blue Skies!

say what?

If none of that works and she treats you poorly, as long as you are off probabtion, I would critique her on everything she does and say, "Sheesh, I have never seen a Captain do that!!" If she has a rough landing, I would ask, "And you make how much more than I do?" Or ask, 'When did you upgrade again?" If it gets intollerable, just go to the Chief Pilot's office and say you are uncomfortable flying with her. She will be embarrassed and probably think she is on the "watch list."

I hope you understand that General Lee is joking here. None of this is good advice.

Whatever you do, don't go the Chief Pilot's office first. This is what Professional Standards is for. They are the marriage counselors of the pilot group and probably the most underrated committee in the union.

Everyone here is assuming you did something wrong, or 'needed' to be criticised in the first place. Are you sure its not just the capt who has issues and you did nothing wrong? This has happened to me once, and I let him fly every leg. This guy was freaking out when "according to the POH, we are supposed to descend at a 3 degree path enroute. Coming in to the terminal area, we get 1-2 step downs 2-3 thousand feet at a time. So instead of coming down at 3000 FPM (or so) I usually come down at 1000-1500 FPM so the passengers dont get a roller coaster ride. He FREAKED!! I heard him bad mouthing me to one of his buddies, that I know, a few days later. I asked the mutual friend what he said, he just laughed and said, don't worry, everyone knows hes a jerk!
Dont sweat it........

paco pollo

in america the saying is 'don't put UP with anyone's crap' You must not have read that he is on probabtion and is probably weighing the in the current state of the airline hiring in his decision.

I would like to get more info about what specifically she was criticizing.

Good post, good luck.

Confront Her.....

I would confornt her to see her reaction, then talk to Pro Standards. Most of the time when you confront someone who has been talking behind your back and you confront them as a professional, watching the major backpeddling is amazing.

Good Luck,

--03M

I've Heard Of This Before

I've heard of this sort of thing before, and someone once described this situation as a case of "Penis Envy." What is "penis envy" you ask? Those that weren't born with them wish that they were, and feel the need to prove themselves to be better than those of us that do have them.

Latest resources

Back