Crewmember Criticism!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ameriagle

I recently found myself on the recieving end of some personal criticism and would like to get some feedback from others. First of all criticism, in my opinion, can be a very good thing. I am not particularly sensitive to it. In many cases it is something we can learn from, after all I strive to be the best crewmember I can be and any learning experience is usually good. In this case, however I was really bothered by it!

It was obvious early in the month that the Captain and myself share a different outlook on life....not a lot of common ground in general. No problem. Doesn't exactly make for stimulating conversation enroute....but oh well! None the less we are professionals and we do are jobs. Still a perfectly pleasant and civil cockpit........apparently!

This morning however, after finishing my trip I am in the crewroom waiting on my flight home when I overhear the Captain I've been flying with start flaming me and my character to a couple of her crewmember buddies not knowing that I happened to be standing behind them. I was appalled. No doubt the most disappointing moment in my aviation career. I work hard to do the best job that I can and take what I do very seriously. I am always very receptive to feedback from my fellow crewmembers positive and negative and look at it as a way to get better at what I am doing. Whats really upsetting is that this Captain feels that instead of offering me feedback and making me aware of the situation she would rather smear my good name in the crewroom. Completely disrespectful and truely the most unprofessional conduct I have ever witnessed in my relatively short (3 years) time in the airline business.

So what to do? One more trip to fly together and I am inclined to bring my displeasure to her attention.....in a professional and tactful manner of course! Would it be more appropriate to address the issue through professional standards or a talk with the CP? Or should I let it go as basically a non issue? I am on probation and I definately don't want to walk into a hornets nest either. All feedback is helpful, thanks.

Do NOT go to the CP before exhausting all your options within the union (ProStan, etc.). I, personally, would confront her in a non-confrontational manner. Easy...that's not contradictory. Simply ask her for a critique on areas she believes you can improve upon. After she opens up (IF she does), you can more easily bring to her attention your displeasure at her talking about you "behind" you back. If that fails, use the resources your union has provided.

I would leave it alone for now, like you said "one more trip to fly". When I asked a 30+ yr airline pilot about the same situation, "what to do when you just can't get along", his advice to me was "just be the FO" and let the other person "be the captain". Someday you will be the captain and you will need to remember this month as how you DON'T want YOUR cockpit to be. As a probationary pilot I wouldn't make any waves with the CP, but if you know someone in the union that you feel comfortable talking too, then maybe you should vent a little between now and when your next trip starts. I don't think the fact that the captain is a woman has anything to do with it, some people just don't get along. Another possibility is that maybe you are the a$$hole, not her, and you should lighten up a little. I don't know you or her, but it does take two to make the darn thing fly. Good luck.

Ameriagle said:
This morning however, after finishing my trip I am in the crewroom waiting on my flight home when I overhear the Captain I've been flying with start flaming me and my character to a couple of her crewmember buddies not knowing that I happened to be standing behind them. Whats really upsetting is that this Captain feels that instead of offering me feedback and making me aware of the situation she would rather smear my good name in the crewroom. Completely disrespectful and truely the most unprofessional conduct I have ever witnessed in my relatively short (3 years) time in the airline business.

So what to do? One more trip to fly together and I am inclined to bring my displeasure to her attention.....in a professional and tactful manner of course!

I wouldn't pester higher ups with something like this but it really should be addressed. How about saying something like..."It's come to my attention that you are saying X in the crew room about me. I'll try to do a good job for you as your FO but could you come to me first next time there is a problem so I can fix it? At the very least Captain Bigmouth will wonder which of her "friends" told you about it. :cool:

Don't worry yourself. Most women pilots I have come in contact with are terribly insecure. They are in this business to compete with men, and putting you down is her way of proving that she is superior. Just wait til you upgrade, and run your cockpit like a pro. Personal insults show weakness on the her part. B@#ch!

I don't know if I could resist having a little fun.

Something along the lines of:

"When you're publicly smearing my character please do it where I can't hear it. My sef-image can't take the strain."

Then laugh. Guaranteed red face on her part.

Probably, though, ziggy's idea is best.

Let her wonder who squealed. Paranoia will shut the 'ol mouth pretty quick.

I would talk to her, that way you don't have to dread the idea of being stuck with her on another bid. You'll at least know what to expect, and worst case, be ready to put your trips into opentime.

I'd tell her that you did over hear her and then say that you will try to be a professional FO and do your best as a crew member. She will probably be embarrassed and be nice to you throughout the rest of the trip. Then, I would try to put her on a "Do Not Fly With List" if your company has one---usually for FO's only.

If none of that works and she treats you poorly, as long as you are off probabtion, I would critique her on everything she does and say, "Sheesh, I have never seen a Captain do that!!" If she has a rough landing, I would ask, "And you make how much more than I do?" Or ask, 'When did you upgrade again?" If it gets intollerable, just go to the Chief Pilot's office and say you are uncomfortable flying with her. She will be embarrassed and probably think she is on the "watch list." Good Luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

I would definately keep it professional in the cockpit, but I would confront this person and tell them what you heard. You are a person too! Stand up for yourself.

As a Crewmember, with a small company, we had a pilot who thought he knew everything in the cockpit.

On several occasions I expressed my concerns to this person; they needed to know their attitude was inhibiting my function as a crewmember.

This persons reputation was not respected within the company; His/Her attitude about themselves, was far above the actual reality of their performance.

Most professional crewmembers will listen and try to get along with their fellow employess. Unfortunately, there are many immature individuals whos personal ego is more important than their cockpit relationships. This also applies to management, in some situations.

Politics in the airlines industry is a fact of life. The favorites can do no wrong, even if they are wrong! You know the situation; Everyone in this forum has experienced the prejudice of favoritism.

If, safety becomes an issue you have no choice but to change things, If not, then hang in there and grit your teeth till things change over time.

Good Luck.... I know how hard it can be.

Ameriagle said:
I recently found myself on the recieving end of some personal criticism and would like to get some feedback from others. First of all criticism, in my opinion, can be a very good thing. I am not particularly sensitive to it. In many cases it is something we can learn from, after all I strive to be the best crewmember I can be and any learning experience is usually good. In this case, however I was really bothered by it!

Latest resources

Back