• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crew Pass in BWI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's wrong with changing after security? I've never heard of any restriction . . . seems pretty obvious they want you in uniform so they can see you're crew, and so the pax don't bitch. Once the show is over, who cares?

I remember reading some where that the TSA regards changing after security as "an attempt to avoid screening" or some bull like that. After all, you might bring the full size tooth paste into the secure area. And with that an a polo shirt you really could raise hell........

Thank you for the replies. Now if I go through normal security with my crew ID (out of uniform)...will they let the liquids/gels through?

I have asked 4 TSA supervisors and none of them had heard it was a problem changing clothes. But then again like the FAA ask 5 get at least 7 answers cause 2 will change their mind mid answer.

What's wrong with changing after security? I've never heard of any restriction . . . seems pretty obvious they want you in uniform so they can see you're crew, and so the pax don't bitch. Once the show is over, who cares?

Who knows with these idiots. Here's my example.

Flew a busted sequence, one leg to hotel, DH home next am.
Splattered crew meal on pilot shirt. Next am I wore the usual uniform clothes except switched dirty shirt for Polo shirt, left hat in bag.

My bags go through the xray machine, alerts are sounded, TSA supervisor makes a tactical approach to my kitbag convinced he has discovered a tactical nuclear weapon. Well, not really, it was my bottle of hot sauce.

After his initial disappointment that it wasn't a nuke, and he wouldn't be getting the Congressional TSA Medal of Honor, he remained aggressive despite by profuse apologies for my 5:30 am oversight of Federal Code. the nuke, I mean the hot sauce, would be confiscated.

Not wanting to lose my favorite bottle, In a humble and respectful way, I suggested that he could hold it for me, I could exit, put on my scummy shirt to complete the "street legal" uniform, enter a again and everybody is happy.

It was then I was told, (with attitude), that if I did that, I would be arrested and charged with "by passing and evading airport security". It was a new one to me.

Of course I withheld my next thought that came to mind that I was already evading airport security by dealing with his "village idiot" arse. ;)

My bottle of hot sauce became a POW of the TSA.

Here is some more lunacy. My next trip through the same airport security, I was legally clearing "behind the lines" with an item that was more dangerous than hot sauce, but less than a nuke ;)

In the room was a box of 15-20 bottles of rum, confiscated from the unwary arrivals from the cruise ships. I mentioned that I hope it ends up at the TSA Xmas party, TSA (good guy) rolls eyes and says a Hazmat company actually has a contract for guys in protective suits to collect it and destroy it. I kid you not. Imagine what the bill is for that.

I could not never understand the logic of putting on your uniform. You're still the same person, same face, same legally employed airline employee even if you 're in a T-shirt and shorts. In TSA's opinion you become a different individual for some obscure reason.

hi!

Liquids/gels...it depends on the TSA screener...when I used to travel out of uniform, I always got through.

It seems that you are in uniform for convience...if that is the case, why stop? I now ALWAYS travel in uniform (unless w/ family...on vacation, etc.), and it is ALWAYS helpful. I get through Customs faster (or don't do Customs at all), get through security screening faster (or don't do screening at all), get better service on the plane, sometimes get upgraded to Business/1st class, ONLY because I'm in uniform, get to take 3 carry-ons, or get to take 2, when only one is allowed, get discount rates when I buy stuff at the airport, etc., etc.

If you don't like wearing the uniform, don't, be a civilian and do it the civilian way.

Have a great day!

cliff
LFW

Latest resources

Back