• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crew Bags on CRJ200

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This kills me - possible FAA violations over crew bags in the overhead because they are included in the BOW when there are absolutely no provisions for the 300 pound captain/FO who is obviously WAY over the allowance for crew weight in the BOW.
Gotta love it.

7KCAB said:
This kills me - possible FAA violations over crew bags in the overhead because they are included in the BOW when there are absolutely no provisions for the 300 pound captain/FO who is obviously WAY over the allowance for crew weight in the BOW.
Gotta love it.

That's the problem though, at ASA the geniuses who redid the W&B program took the crew bag weight out of the BOW. They claimed that it allowed the passenger weights to decrease, although the crew weights went up by 10 lbs. So it's probably the 300 lb pilot who's throwing the wrench into everything.

This issue came up at my airline as well. We were given the impression that our bags had to go in back. There was no way I was going to put my bag in back and have it destroyed or lost. I concluded that since a passenger is allowed a carry on in the cabin that weighs zero, I could substitute my bag for one of theirs that is left at the cart to placed in back. The weight would be the same if the situation was reversed. (the pax bag in the overhead and mine in the back and counted as 30 lbs.) Since there are almost always at least 3 pax carry ons that go in back, all three crewmembers can stow their bags in the cabin. Later this was approved by our company. I haven't heard of anyone at our company having any problems with the Feds doing this.

It's ASA, Another Skywest Airline.

His name is Kosta and he has ruined two IP's careers already for no reason.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing in the SP's that says your bag has to go in the cargo. The SP that refers to ac loading just says that it's not included in the BOW any more. So add it in yourself and spin it in the W&B. You can't get around company policy about the overhead bins but heard a CP say that there is nothing wrong with keeping it in the Cockpit say behind your seat.

Lost 4 months

One day the plane was full, so I decided to make room for the passengers and put my bag in the cargo compartment. I didn't see it again until 4 months later. I called the station in Augusta where it disappeared, but they wouldn't even return my call. I submitted a RIF seeking the company's help in locating my bag, but they ignored my request for a response. 4 months later my bag turned up in Atlanta. I'm no brain surgeon, but I learned my lesson, and my bag stays with me now.

I don't have the SP's with me now so I do not remember the section (maybe SP400), but I looked it up the other day and it does say that "Crew bags must go in the cargo."

Oh, and for those who cannot find the yellow bags in the back to put your bag in, it is because ASA cancelled the yellow bag program some time ago. A$$holes!

I agree with everyone else, something has to be done to protect are bags and underwear from being damaged or lost.

GO AROUND said:
It's ASA, Another Skywest Airline.

His name is Kosta and he has ruined two IP's careers already for no reason.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing in the SP's that says your bag has to go in the cargo. The SP that refers to ac loading just says that it's not included in the BOW any more. So add it in yourself and spin it in the W&B. You can't get around company policy about the overhead bins but heard a CP say that there is nothing wrong with keeping it in the Cockpit say behind your seat.

It's not in the SP's, it's in section 2 of the FA manual.

Just paint your bag yellow and write, "This is a Crew Bag DumbA$$!" on it. That should solve the problem.

I'm gonna have to go with behind my seat in the Cockpit.

Latest resources

Back