Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crazy Kids Over At Airliners Net Are At It Again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL,]Ugh, these 13 year olds over on the Airliners Net forums kill me sometimes. [/font][/font][/font][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL,]:D[/font][/font][/font][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL,] Feel free to discuss amongst ourselves the problems with the solutions presented below! [/font][/font][/font]
[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL,]
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tech_ops/read.main/119398/

Hi all,

I came up with the idea of airplanes with the engines mounted on top the wings, rather than having them under the wings. But, as you all know, all civil airplanes have them either on the tail or below the wings. So, as the title says, the question is, what are the main reasons for not having the engines mounted over the wings?

I see some advantages. By having them over the wing, you can put a bigger engine on the plane, since you don't need space between the engine and the ground. This way, the landing gear could be shorter also, thus saving weight and space.

About the bigger engines: it's not that I like airplanes to have huge engines; I read that the engines of the next generation of the A320/B737 planes, in order to be more fuel-efficient, needed to have more diameter, but there is no space for them under their wings! Thinking in solutions, one of the easiest was to put them over the wings. Of course I had more futuristic ideas, but maybe too difficult to make (yes, I'm always thinking on new things for airplanes LOL)

I do however see some disadvantages: maintenance costs would be higher due to the difficulty to access the engine. There might be too noise issues, for the passengers and noise stress for the frame too. Also aerodynamic problems, I don't know how the air would flow. And psychological, imagine seeing the engine over the wing from the window!

Oh man, I listed more troubles than advantages! But maybe the disadvantages are not an issue, and there are more advantages. What do you think? You engineers out there sure know about this, do you think it's an unsuitable idea?

I know that there are some planes with engines over the wings, such as the Beriev Be-200. But that's a firefighter, so it actually needs its jets as far as possible from water. Wasn't there a Focke-Wulf also? Note that I'm talking about commercial aircraft and jet engines.
I'm sure I had more things in mind when I was going to start writing this post, I'll add them up later if I remember them! Feel free to comment anything!

Regards,
Keta
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

Why don't you stop dogging others when they have any concept of an idea. Feasable or not, I'm sure you must get your jolies off by tearing others down.

Rightie.

Hardknock said:
Why don't you stop dogging others when they have any concept of an idea. Feasable or not, I'm sure you must get your jolies off by tearing others down.

Rightie.
So would putting the engines on top of the wings cause psychological problems for the passengers?

FN FAL said:
So would putting the engines on top of the wings cause psychological problems for the passengers?

I think there would be bigger problems if the passengers are on top of the wing.

Now this is just a thought, but.......... what about puting the pass. on the wings and then engines in the fuse.!!!!

Or... be a geniuses and take the Turbine, turn it around, and mount Props on it... like the 1900

..... and yes i do get my "jollies" from putting people down.. how else would you make fun if you couldn't make fun of people!

Last edited:
...and then those crazy Russian transport aircraft with wings over the engines...

There is a lot of junk on airliners.net, but if that kid is really 13 I'd encourage him/her... shows some good logic and analysis skills... the world needs more of that than nintendo-playing, paint-huffing VD-carring junk-food-eating teenagers.

Don't forget the Germans either--the VFW-614 comes to mind...

Latest resources

Back