• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crazy Base Jumping video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I pulled the oh crap handle in an SR-22, does that count?

Kidding.

What do you need in terms of certification to jump New River Gorge on Bridge Day? Would an AFF course and USPA ticket do it?

9GClub said:
I pulled the oh crap handle in an SR-22, does that count?

Kidding.

What do you need in terms of certification to jump New River Gorge on Bridge Day? Would an AFF course and USPA ticket do it?
You don't need anything...no certs, no nothing. If you really want to try the Bridge, look them up on the web...find their registration and information page.

You can use a sport rig for the jump, but don't bring one with an AAD in it. Two other things...

You'll need a larger pilot chute, but those can bought on-line ahead of time or at registration. Warning - if you put a new pilot chute on your rig, don't forget to properly secure it to the ring where it's supposed to go. There's nothing more embarssing than throwing your pilot chute and seeing it go away, when you are at 700 feet and accelerating towards the earth. This has happened before.

Also, if you use your sport rig at Bridge Day, you'll want to pack slider up, with the center of the slider duc taped through the middle like a figure eight. This allows your slider to continue to give you line over protection, but the figure eighting will help speed up the opening a bit. Warning-consult your rigger before, during and after any alterations! Do not use your figure eighted slider or oversize pilot chute to jump from an aircraft or to perform any jump where you intend to exceed sub-terminal velocities!

Third...try to go with someone you can trust, that has been to the bridge before. This is the absolute best way to ensure that you will have a great time and safe experiece. I know people do it, but I couldn't have imagined making my first one without some co-pilots...and what a heck of a party you'll have with your friends. Both before and after.

Latest resources

Back