crashpad question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywiz

How do you get to and from airport from the crashpad if you aren't based where you live? ie, you live in say Jacksonville, and base out of Philly? Take the bus? Do some guys own 2 cars? One at home and one at crashpad?

Also, for those who commute, how often are you at home? What is a typical schedule like for a week?

Thanks.

Depends on your situation. If you are married and a 2-car family, you can leave one car in the crew lot, and manage as best as possible at home with only one car.

As far as crashpads go, maybe find one within walking distance of the airport, or within walking distance of a bus stoip or airport hotel.

As far as the amount of time at home, I would imagine somebody at your airline can fill you in on that.

walking distance of the airport? I've never heard of such a thing. What airports would these be? I've tried walking out of airports and couldn't find any sidewalks. If I remember correctly some had signs of pedestrians with the red circle and slash through it. In all honesty if there are any please tell me because I might be able to switch bases and sell my car (I hate driving)

As to the first question, I took the bus my first couple of months before I moved. People will look at you strangely.

dardar said:
walking distance of the airport? I've never heard of such a thing. What airports would these be?

I have a friend who is/was in a SWA crashpad at Hobby. Literally a 3 minute walk across the street.

dardar said:
walking distance of the airport? I've never heard of such a thing. What airports would these be?

Seattle. Though I don't know if I'd want to "live" there. Crashpad was okay.

It really depends on where you are and what you are doing. If you are gonna be sitting reserve in the crashpad then you are gonna want to spend some money and get a cheap crashpad car. Get an old beater that can usually be found for less than 1000 bucks. If you are gonna hold a line then you might not need a car you can ride the bus/train or you can get a pad close to a hotel or parking lot that might let you use thier vans if you tip the driver. Or you could find a pad thats within walking distance to the airport.

Oh I when I was commuting I was home about 8 nights which would usually end up being about 6 "full days" off a month. If you are on reserve then a lot of you days off will get eatin up by the commute. You usually start reserve too early so you have to commute in the day before or you get released from reserve too late to be able to commute out that night so you have to commute home the next morning. I'd say that at least 90% of the time one end reserve block would be uncommutable. 5% of the time neither end is commutabel. and 5% of the time both ends are commutable. If you are lucky enough to hold a line then your chances of getting a schedule that is decently commutable goes up a bit so you will not lose as many days off to the commute.

dardar said:
walking distance of the airport? I've never heard of such a thing. What airports would these be? I've tried walking out of airports and couldn't find any sidewalks. If I remember correctly some had signs of pedestrians with the red circle and slash through it. In all honesty if there are any please tell me because I might be able to switch bases and sell my car (I hate driving)

As to the first question, I took the bus my first couple of months before I moved. People will look at you strangely.

RIC has a handfull of pads within 10 minute walking distance. STL has a whole bunch of pads within 10 minute walking distance.

great cornholio said:
It really depends on where you are and what you are doing. If you are gonna be sitting reserve in the crashpad then you are gonna want to spend some money and get a cheap crashpad car. Get an old beater that can usually be found for less than 1000 bucks. If you are gonna hold a line then you might not need a car you can ride the bus/train or you can get a pad close to a hotel or parking lot that might let you use thier vans if you tip the driver. Or you could find a pad thats within walking distance to the airport.

Oh I when I was commuting I was home about 8 nights which would usually end up being about 6 "full days" off a month. If you are on reserve then a lot of you days off will get eatin up by the commute. You usually start reserve too early so you have to commute in the day before or you get released from reserve too late to be able to commute out that night so you have to commute home the next morning. I'd say that at least 90% of the time one end reserve block would be uncommutable. 5% of the time neither end is commutabel. and 5% of the time both ends are commutable. If you are lucky enough to hold a line then your chances of getting a schedule that is decently commutable goes up a bit so you will not lose as many days off to the commute.

Yep. It's lousy. Commuting while on reserve is like being in jail. Especially if they don't use you. And if they do use you... what fun! Working your tail off all month to fly 2 hours under guarantee, and getting paid the same amount that you got paid to sit around and twiddle your thumbs the month before.

skywiz said:
How do you get to and from airport from the crashpad if you aren't based where you live? ie, you live in say Jacksonville, and base out of Philly? Take the bus? Do some guys own 2 cars? One at home and one at crashpad?

Also, for those who commute, how often are you at home? What is a typical schedule like for a week?

Thanks.

I have two cars.....I seem to be home about ten days a month, lose three to commute....but still more than my previous flying job.

KMDW has many walkable pads and a train station at the airport. Probably only good for ATA or SWA, but might wok for KORD based guys. Pads run $125.00-200.00 /month.

Jet

Latest resources

Back