Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kingairrick

Rare user
Does anyone have any info on a crash near Atlanta on Aug. 17th? The pilot was a Delta FA and had been attending Comair Academy.
Just looking for info for a friend who knew him.

He attended the Airline Training Academy. His name is Chris Yates. Evidently not much is known about the accident. (see the link below) For those who work for Delta, you have lost a good employee. For those of us who knew him, we have lost a good friend.

Plane crash east of Rome leaves 2 dead

By SAEED AHMED
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A single-engine plane crashed into a field between Rome and Cartersville on Sunday evening, killing both people on board, authorities said.

Killed were Claude Inman Osteen Jr., 51, of Smyrna; and Christopher Yates, 41, of Newnan. Both men were employees of Delta Air Lines, authorities said.

The two-seater plane, described as an Ercoupe, was found "in a small crumpled pile" in a field on Morrison Campground Road near the Floyd-Bartow county line shortly before 9 p.m. by the owner of the farm, authorities said. One of the victims was in the plane, and the other lay nearby.

Hugh Atkins, director of the Floyd County Emergency Management Agency, said 911 dispatchers began receiving calls about 7 p.m. from people reporting a plane that seemed to have caught fire.

Investigators spent two hours looking for the wreckage until the owner of the farm spotted it and called.

"The plane had nose-dived, but there did not appear to be any explosion on impact," said Atkins.

Authorities did not know what the plane was doing in the area. Rome airport officials said they had no record of it there. The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the crash.

I think he finished the program in Sept. or Oct. of last year.

That was a shame. His memorial is today in Atlanta.
Chris was a good guy
RIP

Anyone know if Chris Yates left any survivng family members? Anyone running a fund for donations?

"Chris is survived by his parents who reside in England. I do not know of any fund as of today, but will find out when I return to work next week. I flew with Chris out of MCO and thought the world of him. Thanks for asking."

Rick's wife, Lisa

Latest resources

Back