Crappy FBO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some info on MIA.
If you DON'T need any service, just dropping off or picking up, the County has a facility with ok parking on the NW side of the field. Like I said, no fuel or services, a couple of chairs is it. But the fee for a Citation is like $40.00 bucks total.
I think they only take M/C
Hung

buy a PSP boys... It will make your life better!

Mid America at DSM.

We called from the plane an hour out to tell them we would be doing a quick turn(17 minutes on the nutcrackers:)), and asked if there was a ramp fee. If there was we were going to pay over the phone so we could get moving because we didn't need fuel. The guy said no ramp fee, and was more concerned about where he was going to park us for the turn, rather than offering his help. He said he was going to have to park us on the other side of the ramp, and we just wanted to make sure our passengers weren't going to have to walk all the way across some big ramp, atleast get a ride. Well it was our first time in there, and will be our last. When we arrived the guy came strolling out of the building after we parked to tell us, "the way things are lately, you all are going to have to buy fuel next time or they are going to charge a ramp fee." We told him we didn't need fuel. I didn't talk to him on the ground but my question was, if he thought we needed fuel and needed a QT, where the hell was the fuel truck when we pulled in. Plus the taxi way is more suitable for a J3 rather a G4. Good Luck Mid America.

Last edited:
We just got back from CLT. The only FBO on the field is Wilson Aviation. These airport monopolies are so predictable... When we checked in the night before, I told them that I wanted the aircraft on the line at 1800 with a fuel truck standing by. When we got to the airport at 1745, the aircraft was buried, half a mile across the ramp. After 3 or 4 increasingly urgent prompts, it was finally on the line at 1825. This with 5 ramp guys sitting on their asses in front of us. We ordered a top off. Predictably, I now got a call from the pax that they wanted to leave at 1915 instead of 2000. As the fuel truck pulled away, I checked the quantity and they had disconnected early; they still hadn't finished topping off the left wing and fuselage tanks! We finally repositioned to pick up our pax at 1905 as if nothing had happened. The caterer that they use, Go*************************, is about a 7 out of 10, although they charge like Stevies in SMO.

By the way, the Hertz rental car smelled as if there had been a cigar smoking contest in it. I know that it was the weekend of the big NASCAR race but can't people plan ahead?

The Rennesance was a decent, though overpriced (195/nt) short layover hotel. If you need the supplement catering, find decent wine, try Harris-Teeter food stores. Good fruit, cheese, deli and liquor. If you need specific wines, drive across the state line to Frugal McDougals (about 3,000 different wines) but remember that they close at 7 pm.

The Best in the Nation????

PapaK said:
We just got back from CLT. The only FBO on the field is Wilson Aviation. These airport monopolies are so predictable... When we checked in the night before, I told them that I wanted the aircraft on the line at 1800 with a fuel truck standing by. When we got to the airport at 1745, the aircraft was buried, half a mile across the ramp. After 3 or 4 increasingly urgent prompts, it was finally on the line at 1825. This with 5 ramp guys sitting on their asses in front of us. We ordered a top off. Predictably, I now got a call from the pax that they wanted to leave at 1915 instead of 2000. As the fuel truck pulled away, I checked the quantity and they had disconnected early; they still hadn't finished topping off the left wing and fuselage tanks! We finally repositioned to pick up our pax at 1905 as if nothing had happened. The caterer that they use, Go*************************, is about a 7 out of 10, although they charge like Stevies in SMO.

By the way, the Hertz rental car smelled as if there had been a cigar smoking contest in it. I know that it was the weekend of the big NASCAR race but can't people plan ahead?

The Rennesance was a decent, though overpriced (195/nt) short layover hotel. If you need the supplement catering, find decent wine, try Harris-Teeter food stores. Good fruit, cheese, deli and liquor. If you need specific wines, drive across the state line to Frugal McDougals (about 3,000 different wines) but remember that they close at 7 pm.

The way you described this matter of dealings with Wilson FBO/CLT,is not characteristic of a Wilson FBO. Foul-ups happen,even at the best run FBO's.
It still is no excuse for having PO'd pilots because their line crew was having a bad day.

Last edited:
I'll grant you that everyone was certainly polite and apologetic, but the ramp was not very busy. Since we don't have a choice in CLT, I'll plan for an earlier show on my next trip there ( and my co-pilot thought that two hours was excessive). That should take the tension out of the experience. The iced tea is a nice touch and they do make a decent cookie.

Hey PapaK, the reason you had trouble at CLT is, until several years ago, the FBO there was a Signature. Every place I have ever been that used to be a Signature, still sucks moldy green stump water. Even after years, they still have that same....Like it or leave....attitude.

My vote is for Jim's Air in San Diego. Once again, the only FBO on the field. Ridiculous ramp fees EACH time you have the priviledge of pulling on their ramp, try to get people to sign a waiver so that if they damage your plane, they're not responsible. Also make you sign an agreement to use their catering and noone else, I could go on and on. Hate that place, and hopefully never have to go back. Oh yeah, I guess one of our planes (not the one I was flying) pulled out one day w/out paying the ramp fee. They had my cell number as a contact w/ the same company. They must have called 3-4 times harassing me about getting payment before I told them to leave me the heIl alone.

PapaK said:
although they charge like Stevies in SMO.

FWIW, Air Gourmet's kitchen is in Culver City, which is MUCH closer to SMO than Stevies kitchen is. Your delivery fee should be cheaper.

Latest resources

Back