Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fury220

Resident T-38A/C FAIP
One of the nice things about being an IP at Sheppard is the international flavor (sts), but my reviewer is a GAF dude. He got tasked with my OPR, put it off a little, and then handed it to be today at 1500 saying "can you have this all finished by COB tomorrow?" Now I get to "supply him with a list of bullets" (read: freaking write it myself), and with very short notice.

I have a set of bullets I maintain with some factiods, good-on-ya's, and atta-boy's, but what should I include in this thing? Since I hit active duty and went right to pilot training, then right to PIT, this is the first OPR I've ever had. I have several training reports from UPT, ASBC, and PIT, but that's about it so far, as I've been a line IP for about 6 months now.

Any pointers as I sit down to make this a kickin' OPR? I'd appreciate any help I can get from the old craniums on this board.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, but I find it hard to believe that you think flightinfo is the place you need to be looking to solve this problem. There have got to be some more experienced leaders in your squadron that can help you out. No one here knows what you've done or how you fly. Short of telling you to grab a "Tongue and Quill" (if that even still exists), what could we possibly do.
There have to be other dudes in your squadron who are due an OPR also. Maybe one of their supervisors has a higher "give a sh!t" factor than yours and might be able to help you.
Good lesson: never trust a foreigner with minimal understanding of the USAF system with something as important as your OPR. Good Luck

If this is your first one them I wouldn't sweat it too much. The fact is your evaluator should have had a one on one talk with you before this. The key is to make your bullets short but meaningful, and try to make everyday events sound heroic....(ex: effectively carried out tasks essential to the development of future NATO pilots....translation - I instructed students without killing them) I think they give out points for howe much BS you make sound believable.

By the way...I was having a little fun there. The last guy is right. Your OPR is something that will represent you throughout your career. The tongue and quil is a good place to start. Often times there will be example OPR's posted on your squadron network to help you out. Be informative, but don't overdo it...especially if it's the first one. The Air Force knows you haven't had a chance to save it from crisis in only 2 years.

AdlerDriver said:
I'm not trying to be overly critical, but I find it hard to believe that you think flightinfo is the place you need to be looking to solve this problem. There have got to be some more experienced leaders in your squadron that can help you out. No one here knows what you've done or how you fly. Short of telling you to grab a "Tongue and Quill" (if that even still exists), what could we possibly do.

Well yes...this isn't the only place I'm looking for help. Thanks.

OPRs suck

Surely you are surrounded by other line IPs. See if you can look at a few of your buddies' OPRs before attempting to write your first one. I have to read about 5 past OPRs before I can get into full BS mode and crank out a good one. you think it's hard to write your own, wait until you have to make the squadron slug sound like he hung the moon.

Fury220 said:
One of the nice things about being an IP at Sheppard is the international flavor (sts), but my reviewer is a GAF dude. He got tasked with my OPR, put it off a little, and then handed it to be today at 1500 saying "can you have this all finished by COB tomorrow?" Now I get to "supply him with a list of bullets" (read: freaking write it myself), and with very short notice.

I have a set of bullets I maintain with some factiods, good-on-ya's, and atta-boy's, but what should I include in this thing? Since I hit active duty and went right to pilot training, then right to PIT, this is the first OPR I've ever had. I have several training reports from UPT, ASBC, and PIT, but that's about it so far, as I've been a line IP for about 6 months now.

Any pointers as I sit down to make this a kickin' OPR? I'd appreciate any help I can get from the old craniums on this board.

Thanks in advance.

I hate OPR's.

AND, you need to go the that mans superior and tell him he's F'ing you over. He, not you should complete your OPR. Oh, and where were you? You should know when you have an OPR due, and ask the question. Don't let it happen again. Carry on.

CC secretary

This is very important, but you are not in a crisis yet.

If I were you, I would go to the CC secretary (or the exec) and get copies of other OPRs from FAIPs at your experience level (they will normally delete or blank out the names). Copy the smooth word-smith phases from the best of the OPRs but with your specific information. If you are questioning if something could be worded differently, then consult the Tongue and Quill (the CC secretary will have a copy of that handy too).

The first line and the last line of each section are the most important, so put the meat of what you've done on one of those two lines and spend the most time making those lines sound smooth. If you can reword or reorganize any of the lines to delete white space at the end of each line, then it is a plus. If you can compare yourself (legitimately) with others e.g. "ranked #1 of 10 instructors" then that is very good.

Take your time. There are a number of "deadlines" for OPRs. One is to the DO, one to the CC, one to the OG and one to the wing. You've probably got some wiggle room, so do the research and do it right.

Most importantly, remember what you are feeling right now, so that when you are in charge of other Air Force officers or enlisted you stay ahead of the evaluation cycle and that you can write OPRs and EPRs that will get your guys promoted.

Sometimes, our supervisors give us the best lessons by being the example NOT to follow.

Good luck-
Kuma

Kuma said:
This is very important, but you are not in a crisis yet.

If I were you, I would go to the CC secretary (or the exec) and get copies of other OPRs from FAIPs at your experience level (they will normally delete or blank out the names). Copy the smooth word-smith phases from the best of the OPRs but with your specific information. If you are questioning if something could be worded differently, then consult the Tongue and Quill (the CC secretary will have a copy of that handy too).

The first line and the last line of each section are the most important, so put the meat of what you've done on one of those two lines and spend the most time making those lines sound smooth. If you can reword or reorganize any of the lines to delete white space at the end of each line, then it is a plus. If you can compare yourself (legitimately) with others e.g. "ranked #1 of 10 instructors" then that is very good.

Take your time. There are a number of "deadlines" for OPRs. One is to the DO, one to the CC, one to the OG and one to the wing. You've probably got some wiggle room, so do the research and do it right.

Most importantly, remember what you are feeling right now, so that when you are in charge of other Air Force officers or enlisted you stay ahead of the evaluation cycle and that you can write OPRs and EPRs that will get your guys promoted.

Sometimes, our supervisors give us the best lessons by being the example NOT to follow.

Good luck-
Kuma

Extremely helpful. Thank you.

If you haven't written your own OPR, just wait until you get into the Guard/Reserve world. I've written everyone for 10 straight years, then hand it to my Squadron Flight Commander, he QC's it and adds a little and "Presto" he has written my OPR.

Get used to it, this won't be the last time you write your own OPR.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back