• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cracks found at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I run an aircraft off of the runway and the computed stopping margin was a positive number, then I will stand firmly in front of those at the inquisition and affirm my decision.

Hard to "stand firmly in front of" anyone if said incident kills you.

That type of cowboy mentality is exactly what gets folks into trouble.

But hey, if the computer says you can do it...

What I find extraordinary is the number of "pilots" that will not operate in any environment until it is in black and white that the risks are minimal and if something happens, someone (the company or FAA) will back them up. Look at your certificates and do what it says, "exercize the privileges...". If I run an aircraft off of the runway and the computed stopping margin was a positive number, then I will stand firmly in front of those at the inquisition and affirm my decision. I made a justified and LEGAL decision. This industry is full of daisies that what guarantees and, frankly, have chosen the wrong profession. Your position requires judgement and as Gup said, you have to manage risk. I am not scared of my airplane and more importantly, I am not scared of myself. Do your job. If you want a guarantee that every time you take off nothing will happen or you will avoid investigation, then you are over paid and your dispatcher and autopilot deserve a raise. Call me a cowboy all you want but "get 'r done" is exactly what I am and pilots are supposed to be. Oh yeah, our maintenence is kick-a$$. I'd rather fly a convertible SWA 737 maintained by our mx than anyone elses.

Well that attitude ought to put one onto Central Ave and 55th St...

Mark V. Rosenker, the board's chairman, said every aspect of the landing needed to work perfectly during a storm that dropped almost 10 inches of snow at the airport.
"That, to me, slices the salami a little too thinly," Rosenker said. "These people should have made a different decision."

Latest resources

Back