Crab & Kick or Slip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

I guess there's no right or wrong answer, but looking for opinions or benefits of one vs the other.

I got really good at the crab and kick but then after I got b*tched at by a check airman for doing that, I have been doing the slip exclusively. It just occured to me reading the Airbus XWind Landing at LGA thread that I haven't even practiced a Crab & Kick in almost four months, but I think tomorrow if I can get a decent crosswind I might have to give it a shot.

Again, just looking for opinions on benefits on one vs the other.

-mini

I wouldn't get too excited about the "crab & kick" method at this point. It's probably OK for you to wait to you get closer to a front row seat in a Boeing or Airbus. After all, that's the way you land one of those things to keep from scraping the engine pods on the runway in a crosswind. For the rest of the stuff we fly, from tail-draggers to jets, the slip works just fine thank you.

'Sled

I'll chime in the other way, and suggest that there are few applications for making an approach and landing in a bank. If you landed the airplane straight, then the examiner had no grounds to take exception...unless he was requiring you to demonstrate the other type of landing.

I don't like flying down final in a bank, and neither do passengers. When I'm alone in a really strong crosswind in a conventional gear airplane, I'll do both; going to banking only to ensure that I can hold the longitudinal axis of the airplane on the centerline with control authority available at the approach speed I'm using. Other than that, there's really no value to not crabbing. Most of the time I'll crab all the way down and kick it out in the flare...including in conventional gear aircraft.

I'll throw in with my usual FAQ or diatribe (take you pick) on how there really isn't any difference between the two.

==============================
I think it's great when people start talking about "slip all the way" vs. "kick it at the last minute." In many groups, the flame throwers start next and each side tells why it's selected method is the best.

Being completely wishy-washy (Charlie Brown is my hero), my take is somewhere in the middle:

"Crab & Kick" and "Slip All The Way" aren't different from each other. They're opposite ends of a spectrum.

Let's look at a crosswind landing:

1. As you turn final, you should still be in coordinated flight. That, at least initially, means crab in order to track the extended runway centerline. The direction and degree of the crab is a excellent indication of the general direction and strength of the wind. Comparison between this and the wind sock 300-400' below will tell you a lot about what to expect (especially if they show the wind in opposite directions!)

2. =At some point== you will transition into a slip. That point may be very early on final, somewhere down the middle, in the flare, or at the moment immediately before touchdown. Where you do it will be a matter of personal preferences and your preference may change depending on flight conditions.

For example, if the wind is particularly strong and you haven't had a lot of crosswind practice lately, you might set up the slip earlier to test control effectiveness. If you have passengers on board (especially in the back seat) you might transition into the slip later since passengers don't tend to enjoy the yaw of a slip that much.

3. An important lesson to take home. Whether you transition to the slip at the last moment or a mile away, you have to move your ailerons into the crosswind correction configuration. If not, at best, you will sideload the airplane; at worst, the wind will lift your wing and/or push you off the runway. Most crosswind accidents happen once you are on the ground, not while you are still in the air

The important things are pilot proficiency, pilot (and passenger) comfort level, safety, knowing that you have to transition to crosswind taxi on roll out, and understanding the aerodynamics involved in each end of the spectrum. (For example, a longer slip requires more power.)

Midlifeflyer...
You are spot on and it was my mistake for not being more clear in my explaination. I was in no way advocating the practice of slipping all the way down final - not that there's anything wrong with that. [Note: Lame attempt at humor.] As Avbug correctly said, it's annoying to the passengers. (And when someone is paying you big $$$ to fly them around in their jet the last thing you want to do is annoy the passengers. :p)

The point I guess that I was trying to make is that unless you happen to be flying something with low-slung, pod-mounted engines there's not really a lot of need to touch down in a wings level attitude.

'Sled

I had a student try to fly in the slip method from about 2000 AGL with about 20-25 knots of wind aloft. I tried to smack him but i couldn't peel my arm from the side of the airplane. Crab and kick for passenger (and instructor) comfort.

groundpointsix said:
I had a student try to fly in the slip method from about 2000 AGL with about 20-25 knots of wind aloft. I tried to smack him but i couldn't peel my arm from the side of the airplane. Crab and kick for passenger (and instructor) comfort.

What exactly is "kick". I am familiar with Crab and Slipping the landing, but what do you mean by kick? When I slip im always scared I will go to low, or slip when it wasn't necessary, although Im still working on my landings in general.

The "Kick" is the point you use rudder to remove the crab angle and line up the longitudinal axis, runway centerline and direction of the airplane.

Technically, midlife is right since you do in fact transition into the slip when you "kick" out the crab. Make sure you get that aileron down into the wind and keep it there. Full deflection once you're slowing down on the ground.

So...while they're both technically slips...one is called the "crab and kick" method.

If you're just starting, make sure your CFI demonstrates and has you demonstrate both types. Get really good with at least one of them, but be able to do both of them.

As I said, I had an examiner on the instrument ride ream me pretty good for doing the crab and kick method when I guess he wanted to see the slip. It was my fault for not being comfortable with the slip coming in on the localizer. I should have been prepared for either one (not that he specified, but I should have been ready) and not just the crab and kick for the instrument approach.

-mini

X,

If you familiar with the crab. Alls the kick is "kicking out the crab" with the rudder during the flare. You do this so the plane doesn't land sideways.

Good one mini:)

Last edited:
x

Most CFI's will have you do the slip. Most of us low timers are just not good enuf to Crab it. If that plane takes too much of a side load (touches down sideways) the AP's/Airplane owners are not going to be happy. If I was a CFI I would never teach the Crab method to a private student.

Anyway bud, I saw your post asking about military pilots. Others here like AVBUG, Lead sled, and mini could answer your questions about going the Civy route. PM me if you have Navy questions. Not a pilot but can answer most of your questions. I've been in 8/yrs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back