CPL - Time to complete?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

doog

I've been working on my CPL (part 61) for about 4 months now. I already had a complex endorsement when I started that I got in an Arrow, and went through the process of getting a checkout in the 172RG. We've also done Chandelle's and Lazy 8's, and some standard short/soft field stuff. I asked my instructor after my lesson yesterday what was left and how much more we needed to cover, and he said we have a long way to go, and my maneuvers aren't where they need to be. I agree that they are not perfect, but they are within PTS standards. I'm frustrated that this is going to take a lot longer than I expected.

Compounding my feelings, I just had a friend tell me that he completed his commercial in a long weekend. Maybe my instructor is too much of a stickler? He is a very experienced pilot and I learn and enjoy each lesson, but I also feel a bit like each lesson is improvised on the spot, and that there is little overall cohesion with the end goal in mind. I often have to remind him what we did last time, and I feel like I have to really be on top of the curriculum... there is no syllabus, so to speak. Any advice? I've thought about trying to fly more often but I work full time and have a new baby so once a week is really all I can muster at this point... although conceivably I could take a week off and do an accelerated program... any suggestions on such programs? Thanks!

4 months!? If you can consistently go through all the maneuvers in a row and make them all to PTS standards then it's not up to your instructor to teach you "style". The PTS is all that we have to separate us from the animals and once you're there you should be signed off (barring something unusual).

Working without a syllabus doesn't really bother me too much, but this is precisely what they're for: To keep up with where you are and make clear how far you need to go.

I could blather on for a while but the only real advice you need to hear is that you shouldn't be afraid to tell your instructor, no matter how cool or experienced he is, that you'd like to try working with a new instructor. Simply because after 4 months there's obviously some sort of barrier involved in the way you communicate with each other. This happens all the time in the instructing world and if he's worth his salt he'll completely understand. Keep us posted.

I asked my instructor after my lesson yesterday what was left and how much more we needed to cover, and he said we have a long way to go, and my maneuvers aren't where they need to be.
Your instructor should:
1. Be giving you more detail than this regarding any perceived deficiencies, and
2. Be giving you that information as you go, so that there is no need to ask the question.

An instructor's ability to clearly communicate where you are and where you need to go is just as important as his ability to demonstrate and explain a maneuver. If he can't or won't, that is definitely grounds to find another instructor.

Fly safe!

David

It could be possible that you are within PTS standards and the instructor wants you to actually be a commercial level pilot and minimum PTS standards are not that.

But,...having a complex endorsement in an Arrow does absolutely no good at flying a 172RG to commercial PTS standards, so that is useless information...

..4 months?..what's that? 2 or 3 times a month?...not enough information....

if you're hittin it 2 or 3 times a week, then 4 mos is significant,..but less than that and you may just be "catching up" each time...

just a couple different viewpoints to consider...

I've been working on my CPL (part 61) for about 4 months now. I already had a complex endorsement when I started that I got in an Arrow, and went through the process of getting a checkout in the 172RG. We've also done Chandelle's and Lazy 8's, and some standard short/soft field stuff. I asked my instructor after my lesson yesterday what was left and how much more we needed to cover, and he said we have a long way to go, and my maneuvers aren't where they need to be. I agree that they are not perfect, but they are within PTS standards. I'm frustrated that this is going to take a lot longer than I expected.

Are you training in the Southwest by any chance?

I'm flying every weekend with each lesson being about 1.5 hours. In the four months I've done about 20 hrs dual so far. Yes I'm in the Southwest. I did my IR in about 60 hours, so if I have a "long way to go" it seems a little ridiculous in terms of time frame. Thanks for all the suggestions.

It could be possible that you are within PTS standards and the instructor wants you to actually be a commercial level pilot and minimum PTS standards are not that.

Not that I agree, but if this were the case then it should have been covered in the beginning. You are the customer, if you're good to the letter of the standards then the instructor can not expect to have you foot the bill while he creates his masterpiece.

Yes I'm in the Southwest. I did my IR in about 60 hours, so if I have a "long way to go" it seems a little ridiculous in terms of time frame.

I thought so. By any chance would the name of this instructor happen to begin with the initials R. L.?

Ok, then it's not who I was thinking it might've been, which is good to hear. However, what you've described still does sound similar to an outfit that I contacted last week, about doing a flight conversion, that had both an Arrow and 172RG in their fleet. I got the impression from the manager that I spoke with there that the conversion would take a 'long time'; but, then again this all could be just a coincidence. What airfield are you training at?

Latest resources

Back