Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ToiletDuck

Ninja
I'm waiting on my checkride to get my Com-multi and I was wondering what other aircrafter were counter rotating props. I've learned on a seminole and the school use to have a senica. My father and I were wanting to look into getting a twin and I'd prefer to have counter rotating props on it. So what other aircraft are there? Also is there really a noticable difference between a regular and counter rotating prop planes once in flight?
Duck

ToiletDuck said:
I'm waiting on my checkride to get my Com-multi and I was wondering what other aircrafter were counter rotating props. I've learned on a seminole and the school use to have a senica. My father and I were wanting to look into getting a twin and I'd prefer to have counter rotating props on it. So what other aircraft are there? Also is there really a noticable difference between a regular and counter rotating prop planes once in flight?
Duck
Depends on what size twin you want. Seminole and Seneca are both counter-rotating, but if you want something bigger, the Navajo CR and Chieftain are counter rotating. Pretty easy to fly, carry a good load, but costly.

LAXSaabdude.

The Duchess is counter-rotating as well.

I instructed in a Grumman Cougar for a couple hundred hours, and it's not counter-rotating. Honestly, I didn't notice any real difference between shutting the left down or the right. But with the Cougar's puny 160hp motors, it's not too surprising.

Some Twin Comanches are have counter-rotating props.
Lowers Vmc substantially over the non-counter-rotating Twinkies. Neat little airplane.

Other than for training purposes...does anyone really know why Beech made the Dutchess, or why anyone would want one?

I got my multi in a Seminole....same question there.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but my old 1960 M-35 would out-run, and probably out-carry (useful load) both of those.

And probably glide almost as far dead-stick than the others do with one engine at high altitudes where I live/fly.

JimG said:
Other than for training purposes...does anyone really know why Beech made the Dutchess, or why anyone would want one?

I got my multi in a Seminole....same question there.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but my old 1960 M-35 would out-run, and probably out-carry (useful load) both of those.

And probably glide almost as far dead-stick than the others do with one engine at high altitudes where I live/fly.

Yep, for training purposes

Latest resources

Back