• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Costa Rica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get out of San Jose (crime ridden sh1t-hole) and rent a 4wd and head to the Pacific Coast! I like the Hotel Si Como No near Manuel Antonio National Park. It is about a 3 hour drive.

Did yall have any problem with the food or water giving you Montezuma's revenge? I'm going to take extra cheese crackers just in case.

Food and water no problemo....hotels and local joints alike.

And no, you don't stay at Delray...you just visit the bar....

Ultra...

Did yall have any problem with the food or water giving you Montezuma's revenge? I'm going to take extra cheese crackers just in case.

I have driven from one end of that country to the other (except the east coast, which I hear isn't so nice). Ate and drank what the locals ate and drank, never got sick. The food is very good. The have a large cattle industry so order the beef. If you like fish it is very good too, I recal a lot of sea bass being served. The booze is good, but if they are having elections while you are there it cannot be served for 2 days before and during the election. The local women are nice looking, everyone speaks english as it is taught as a second language in the schools. They have excellent health care if you get sick.

Flew into Liberia, Costa Rica a few months ago. The airports is just a few miles from the nice resorts. We stayed at all inclusive hotel that was just bought and redone by hilton for $100 a night. Liberia is were most all US airlines fly into and most of the tourist go for the beach resorts. If your boss like super nice resorts the Four Season is just down the way and it goes for $400-700 a night.

I spent 3 weeks there. Drove all over the country in a Land Cruiser (errr... Toyota Prado) and flew a few times in a Caravan. I highly recommend Tabocon Resort and Hot Springs at the Arenal Volcano. 5 stars! Not exactly cheap but OMG the springs are amazing! You could take a lot of stress out of the trip if you take a shuttle (or Sansa airlines or Nature Air) instead of drive. The roads are pretty hairy, the cliffs high, pedestrians everywhere, and the drivers are madmen. But you will see much more. The Marriott San Jose is a nice place to stay the first and last nights. Get out and see the country!

This is a pretty laid back and passive culture. Hell, they don't even have an Army. Never raise your voice or act aggressive, you won't get anything you want. Many speaks English, expats are everywhere. CR is the most educated and wealthiest country in Central America. Biggest crime is theft. Aggressive crime is very rare. Computers and internet access is readily available. Water is safe to drink.

You will soon learn to live on "Tico Time"! Can't wait to go back.

Does anyone have info on General Aviation at Manuel Antonio (MROC). Our trip co-ordinator needs some basic info to arrange our transportation to Puntarenas.

Do we go through customs at the main terminal or is there a GA building to get processed. If so, anyone have the name?

To everyone that has contributed to this thread, Thanks so far for your help. This thread has been indispensable to our upcoming trip. The info shared here is why this website is such a great tool for all pilots and makes all the other stuff on here bearable.

Thanks again everyone!!

Not sure about customs in San Jose. I went commercial. I did fly into Manuel Antonio on a Caravan however. I think it's about 3000' and barely enough room to turn around. Tall trees on each end. I took some video of a Navajo taking off because I thought I was going to have some evidence of a crash. Didn't happen, but the "terminal" is an open air restaurant...... that's it. Arrange transport with the place you are staying. Oh, and pack light... You pay by the pound on the regionals.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back