Costa Rica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blzr

Anyone got some info about Costa Rica. We are going down there in March. Flying into SJO. Any info on the FBO, lodging, do's/don'ts.... The flt-crew would prefer an all-inclusive if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Blzr

Blzr, been there several times. Give Delmark a call with the info I pasted below.

I am not familiar with the all-inclusive resorts. I suspect they are over on the pacific coast. If you're staying a while down there, I suppose that would be the place to go.

If you're just there a few nights, I recommend the Marriott San-Jose. It's a great property and just south of the airport. You'll run into some of the aircrews that do longs there.

A couple of 'MUST-DO's':

1. Rain forest canopy tour

2. Volcano tour

and last, but not least:

A refreshment at the Blue Marlin Bar at the Hotel Delray. Trust me on this one.

A a few other items:

You'll need a few bucks to pay the exit fee upon departure. You can save your pax some time if you pay for theirs when you show. I think it's 20USD PP.

The Marriott can arrange the tours I spoke of. They can also arrange an "offical" cab from the Hotel to downtown. It's about 20 bucks RT, and can be placed on the room charge.

USD are widely used, but I don't recommend you carry much, and you don't need much.

I do not recommend you rent a car.

Delmark will essentially walk you and your other pilot through customs. Just a wave from Delmark to the customs guy and you're cleared. Pax are taken first upon arrival, and my folks have reported they cleared in about 60 seconds.

Like most int'l places, keep your departure card handy. Delmark will want it when you leave.

Have fun.

Ultra

Location - San Jose, Costa Rica
Airport Name - Juan Santamaria Intl ICAO:MROC IATA:SJO
Local Time UTC-6 No Daylight Savings Time observed
// Primary Contact //
Ground Handling Agent - ADS GROUND HANDLING
Office Phone: (506) 430-3575 (Office located in San Jose (SJO Airport))
Office Phone: (506) 430-4204 (Office located in San Jose (SJO Airport))Manager (Located at SJO Airport) - Mr. Delmark Muir / Cellular: (506) 385-0840
Office Phone: (506) 430-3575
Office Phone: (506) 430-4204
Manager - Mr. Gerardo Masis / Cellular: (506) 366-3367
Air/Ground Frequency: 131.0
Open 0001-2359 LCL all week.
Fees Payment
AIR ROUTING CARD Accepted - YES
Air Routing Credit Arrangements - YES
Fuel Supplier / Payment
Supplier/Into-Plane Agent - RECOPE
Payment - Pre-arrangement/Sign for Basis
Airport Hours
Airport open 24 hours

Local Transportation Notes:
- Distance to downtown 12.0 miles/19.3 KM/15 minutes.
- Car Rental If rental car required, then rqst Hertz or Budget specifically as other rental agencies are not as good, as per Nyles Courtney with JBK Co. (10/28/88)
Airport Technical Information
TWR Frequency: 118.600M
Runway Information:
RWY 07 /25 9882'x151' SFC:ASP Elev:3019 PCN:

Thanks so Much Ultra. Did you use Universal for flightplanning? My fltplan.com won't let me file iaco fltplsn.

We will be there 5 days, is the fbo fairly secure? the boss is a little edgy about central and south american destinations.

Blzr, I used AirRouting for flight planning and the typical stuff. If you are a Universal customer, I suspect they also use ADS.

The airport is plenty secure, and you'll have plenty of company on the corporate ramp this time of year. You will park west of the main terminal ramp and they also use that ramp for overflow airline guys too. Fuel is from a truck, so no relo is necessary.

For a 5-day, maybe you'll want to be on the coast. I have had friends stay over there...It's a good hike by car, and the resorts I was told are essentially honey-mooners clients.

I can't speak for the FBO...

Costa Rica is a GREAT place. San Jose is a big city...and like any other big cities it has it's issues. Be aware of yourself and your surroundings and you'll be fine. I'd use caution when in the public bus stations (pickpockets, etc.). The public transportation, however is fine (safe)...plan ahead if you ride the bus because getting anywhere can take awhile. I didn't rent a car when I was there (I used public trans. the entire time) and I'm glad I didn't. In San Jose, the local drivers use two accelerator settings, OFF and LIGHT SPEED so watch out when crossing roads. Even if you're in a crosswalk they won't stop! The food is great...the beer is good and the people are very friendly. Have fun, I can't wait to go back!

Treetop

Hotel DelRay

I'll second the Hotel DelRay call....you could have a "very good time" if wanted. One of the most unbelievable out-of-country experiences that I've had....and I all I did was witness.

I've been down there two times and it's a great place to go. Have fun!

i'd avoid the blue marlin like the plague unless you want to hang with creepy old americans trying to pick up hookers. the place is a dump. if you are there for 5 days i'd go down to hermosa beach and learn to surf.

Last edited:
San Jose

I would definitely stay at the Marriott. It's a nice hotel that you can use as your launching pad for a variety of local destinations, and if you feel like just sitting by a pool and drinking a beer or two, then it's a nice place to be.

I would highly recommend you avoid the del Mar. That being said, I DID go to the Blue Marlin with my flying partner and his girlfriend just for the experience. We had a few beers and talked to the horny old men that were there for the prostitutes. I actually called my wife from there to tell her that the women in Costa Rica were incessantly hitting on me. "I'm certain it has nothing to do with the fact that they just want my money, honey."

Tell your handler that you want to be hooked up with a local cab driver (stay away from any cab that is not a Red Taxi, IIRC) for the length of your stay. I would also recommend that you spend at least a few hours in Mercado Central during the day. Treat your driver like a tour guide. Ask him to take you anywhere. It's interesting to see the variety of shops. If you learn enough Spanish to convey your wants and needs to the locals, you will have a much easier time.

Don't worry about the crime, if you are in busy areas during the daytime. Keep your money in a well-secured area, just in case, though. I spent hours walking around downtown by myself, and never felt unsafe.

If you drink, have a few caipirhinas. They're different from the Brazilian type, but delicous nonetheless. Pick up a bottle or two of black label Cacique to make them at home.

I'm jealous. Have fun.

Latest resources

Back