• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cost of checkrides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oct. 1992 Private pilot -$150 - Examiner out of ABE area. After the checkride the DE gave me $75 back and told me to put it twards my first year of books in college because it was my senior year in HS.

Aug. 1992 - Instrument - $200 - Examiner out of TTN/PNE, not the same examiner as above

Sept. 1997 - commercial SEL - $230 examiner out of Southern NJ

Oct. 1997 - commercial MEL - $230 same examiner as above

Oct. 1997 - CFI - free, FAA DE from PHL fisdo

July 1999 - ATP - $250 DE out of TTN area (also paid $975 cash for the ALL ATP program at TTN)

Last edited:
2004 - $350 or 375 (I forgot) for a Private ride in the SF Bay Area

GrowASpine said:
How much in your area?

In 1998 out of the ORD area, they were $50

When I took my last ride in 2001 they were $300-350

GrowASpine is not correct on this. I checked my records on this question. In 1999 all examiners that I know in the ORD area charged about $200 for a Single-Engine test and $250 for a Multi-Engine check ride. As a DPE at that time that is what I charged.

Currently most examiners in the ORD area charge $350 for S/E and $400 for M/E. As a DPE I currently charge a little less, $300/$350. In special cases I have done checkrides for young people in special circumstances for free.

Is this a fair price? Considering the amount of time required (at least 4 to 5-hours), and the extreme liability exposure I think it is a very fare price to charge. And please consider that pilots do have a choice, the FAA is available if you really want to take a test with them, but for some reason no one does that anymore. Why? I really don't know for sure.

Last edited:
$200, same examiner for everything from Instrument up.

UndauntedFlyer said:
for some reason no one does that anymore. Why? I really don't know for sure.
...I think that is a tounge-in-cheek remark,...but,...just in case you are really in the dark about that, you can't get an appointment until about 3 weeks or so after you call for one, then if the weather isn't at least 5000 ft ceiling - 5 miles vis on the checkride day, you will be put off another 2-3 weeks, then if the asigned FAA Inspector gets a higher priority inspection/investigation on the day of your checkride, you are put off again, aaaand if your airplane cannot withstand an FAA Maintainence Inspector's inspection on every nut-and-bolt, you will be lucky to get him to issue a Ferry Permit to get back home on.

nosehair said:
...I think that is a tounge-in-cheek remark,...but,...just in case you are really in the dark about that, you can't get an appointment until about 3 weeks or so after you call for one, then if the weather isn't at least 5000 ft ceiling - 5 miles vis on the checkride day, you will be put off another 2-3 weeks, then if the asigned FAA Inspector gets a higher priority inspection/investigation on the day of your checkride, you are put off again, aaaand if your airplane cannot withstand an FAA Maintainence Inspector's inspection on every nut-and-bolt, you will be lucky to get him to issue a Ferry Permit to get back home on.

Thanks for the excellent post on this subject. I will try to use this in meetings with my FSDO. Any more serious comments like this one will be greatly appreciated.

UndauntedFlyer

Latest resources

Back