Corporate to Majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tgabster

I was recently offered a job to fly a Citation II as Co Captain however, what I truly want to do is fly for the Airlines Majors. How often do Majors hire Corporate pilots and is it harder to get hired if they do? Everyone is tellling me that they dont. Is this true??

Untrue

I came from corporate and now fly for a major. You will definitely be in the minority but it is possible.

corporate to majors

I was recently offered a job to fly a Citation II as Co Captain however, what I truly want to do is fly for the Airlines Majors. How often do Majors hire Corporate pilots and is it harder to get hired if they do? Everyone is tellling me that they dont. Is this true??

I don't know who "everyone" is, but their advice is garbage. The airlines are looking primarily for total time, and in particular PIC in Jet equipment. No matter if background is civil or military. Don't let the civilian vs. military crowd sway you. Get in the left seat of a jet and build your hours. You will be fine.

It is always possible. But flying an older, light jet probably not equipped with EFIS certainly won't help you in differentiating yourself. I've heard that having PIC time and good glass experience is often preferred - it's almost expected given the standard regional jet equipment out there. That said, I am sure plenty of King Air and Dash 8 pilots with no glass time get hired.

Good luck.

Don't listen to those that say you can't do it through the corporate route. Especially those that say you have to have EFIS time.

Get in the first turbine powered multi-engine aircraft that you can and take the first available upgrade, even if it's in an old beater Citation II. If you have solid turbine PIC time, they're not going to give a rats arse if you have EFIS time.

Any moron that can't transition from round dials to glass in just minutes needs to find another career.

I started flying freight...went to the regionals...went to the nationals...went to the majors... went back to the regionals (post 9/11) and then corporate.

I hope your luck is better than mine. ;)

Take the job, build some time and then apply to jb. We will definitely hire you. By at least 2028 or 2008 (if "Big League" Chew has his way) we will be a real major.

my new hire class at cal had two corporate and several turboprop pilots (all round dial, no glass)..it can definitley be done! get the pic time!!

I think it is easier to network when flying for the airlines. You meet many pilots at the regional level and many move on to different majors. So before you know it you have friend everywhere.

Getting the interview becomes an issue of "who do you know?"

Half of the corporate pilots at my field have gone to the airlines in the past 10 years. They came from different backgrounds, different equipment, etc.

Total time and pic turbine seem to be the key, but don't forget the ability to present yourself well during the interview. No amount of 121, efis, or mil time can correct a deficiency in that area.

Latest resources

Back