• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Corporate to Majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you guys for all your advice. I truly appreciate it and will consider everyones advice. I now understand more about what really matters and the steps I have to take. :eek:)

There is always such confusion over the term "Co-Captain" on this message board. The airline guys can't comprehend how two Captain-qualified, type-rated pilots could possibly get along without somebody being "the boss".

It's really simple. The company determines who PIC for the trip, day, or flight is. That person signs for the aircraft and there ya go.

Well, not always. We look at each other and decide who's flying which leg. No one signs for anything.

To the original poster: that's pretty skinny pay for a typed pilot even for part 91. And if you're young and not sure that corporate is for you, that 300/yr will make the total time merely creep in to the book. I escaped the regionals when I went corporate and it's been a real trial. A good move for pay, and general QOL, but an exercise in how to thwart boredom.

What I miss: flying more than 10 hours a month, the equipment, the clear delineations of who does what(mainly outside of the a/c) and what we can do, Mx freq., duty time rules, guaranteed days off, and a real-live departure briefing.

What I don't miss: ALPA, bitching, scheduling, crappy hotels, lard a$$ airport food, being treated like crap by my company.

Just a few thoughts.

I guess it probably does change from operator to operator. We fly 40-50 hours a month. At home we have a maintenance freq. We have duty time rules that mirror part 121.We have 7 guaranteed days off but rarely work weekends or holidays. We have a new SOP that requires a standardized departure briefing and lists those items to be covered.

I do agree with you regarding equipment though. I miss adjustable rudder pedals, APUs, and ground air-conditioning plugged in from the Jetway.

tgab,

My decidedly better half recently pulled the plug on 27 years as a pilot including 11 at the only major airline she really wanted to work for. She wishes she had gone in a different direction long ago. It used to be a great career, now it's just a crappy job. She loved the people she worked with and she liked flying the jet. The rest sucked big time. If you actually enjoy FLYING, get over the notion of being another number at an airline and consider all segments of aviation. Pick the one that pays you what you're worth but lets you enjoy what you do. You may find that job doesn't include a dorky hat and Captain Steubing jacket.

What is she doing now? Always up for new ideas!

Go Corporate

We have duty time rules (and a fatigue management program), clear SOPs, standardized departure and arrival briefings, and I GUARANTEE better maintenance than any of the 121 airplanes I've been on lately (bald tires and all) and we ARE a Part 91 department and proud of it!!!

Imagine that, not all Part 91 Ops are a bunch of cowboys....

There is always such confusion over the term "Co-Captain" on this message board. The airline guys can't comprehend how two Captain-qualified, type-rated pilots could possibly get along without somebody being "the boss".

It's really simple. The company determines who PIC for the trip, day, or flight is. That person signs for the aircraft and there ya go.

That's who will be hiring you. Us airline guys who can't put our head around the concept of "Co-Captain" it sounds hokey to us. There is always only one Captain. A better way to say it might be that I was a pilot for such and such company and some days I was the Captain and some days I was the First Officer.

As far as logging - I would be very careful not to convolute your times. An interviewer can do one of two things A. understand your system (see the little asteriks is my REAL PIC time) or B. don't hire you and move on to the next guy. Unfortunatelly B. is easier.

I had a special colum for "jet", "turbo-prop" and "121 turbine PIC" with the later column with a strict interpretation of "PIC". I did not even count my Captain IOE time in this column. The 3 interviews I went to loved the fact that my logbook fit nicely into their interview forms and I didn't have to do any convoluted math to get their numbers. When you get to an interview at a major worth working at - they don't want "sole-manipulator" time mixed up with your real PIC time.

There is only one reason why airline guys get hired more at majors then corporate guys...

There are more airline guys trying to get major airline jobs than corporate guys trying to get major airline jobs.

Later

Latest resources

Back