• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Corporate to Majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly part 91 only. And it was over a year before I was allowed to left seat with pax on the a/c. Had nothing to do with capabilities, it's just a number on a calendar. Matter of course. Now, we don't sign for the a/c and I'm typed and log PIC whenever it's my leg, regardless of what seat I'm sitting in, though we interchange freely now.

Moral: Ask plenty of questions and make them the questions that you really want to ask. If I had stood my ground about a couple of things in the interview, I believe that I would have still gotten the job and had some better contingencies in place. Live and learn.

There is always such confusion over the term "Co-Captain" on this message board. The airline guys can't comprehend how two Captain-qualified, type-rated pilots could possibly get along without somebody being "the boss".

It's really simple. The company determines who PIC for the trip, day, or flight is. That person signs for the aircraft and there ya go.

"The bro was onnn. Put that sucka down like a mutha. Sheeet."
Subtitle: "Golly"

Okay, just had a chat I will be getting a CE500 type rating. Will fly a Citation II equippet with EFIS. Approx hours a year 300 pay 40k with bonuses? Not sure what that equates to, but not as much flight time. Will take turns each leg logging and flying PIC. Not sure what to do.
My all time childhood goal has been to become one of the few out there female pilots get a decent airline job and just fly. I have been through so much sweat, hardwork, financial hardship like everyone else, and just want to make sure if I take this job and build enough time I won't get rejected by the Majors.

TGABSTER I get over 40 wearing shorts and T-shirt flying 3 days a week vfr.
Don't sell yourself short.
I'm thinking Regional maybe you should as well then there is no question about your time. Remember pic is king.
At a regional you would get more time pic after you upgrade in one year than you will after 3 at that company.
Just a thought.

670--Yeah, but she's getting jet PIC starting NOW. That trumps 6000 hours of right seat RJ time. Maybe--and I mean MAYBE she can find a regional to upgrade in less than three years and the time would be a wash but who knows.

If she gets another thousand hours in three years, 500 pic jet (the quals for getting hired at a major won't be climbing in that time, IMO) she'll be in the ballpark. A bird in hand...

gabster--Keep in mind, if you take this job and keep your mouth shut about wanting to fly for a major, you might land a better corporate job (ie. full-time PIC turbine--135 flies a lot more than 91) and it'll help with the quals at the major.TC

I think it is easier to network when flying for the airlines. You meet many pilots at the regional level and many move on to different majors. So before you know it you have friend everywhere.

Getting the interview becomes an issue of "who do you know?"

Best point in this thread. However, getting a jet type and PIC now would be excellent as well. Either way I bet you will be fine. Best of luck.

Okay, just had a chat I will be getting a CE500 type rating. Will fly a Citation II equippet with EFIS. Approx hours a year 300 pay 40k with bonuses? Not sure what that equates to, but not as much flight time. Will take turns each leg logging and flying PIC. Not sure what to do.
My all time childhood goal has been to become one of the few out there female pilots get a decent airline job and just fly. I have been through so much sweat, hardwork, financial hardship like everyone else, and just want to make sure if I take this job and build enough time I won't get rejected by the Majors.

tgab,

My decidedly better half recently pulled the plug on 27 years as a pilot including 11 at the only major airline she really wanted to work for. She wishes she had gone in a different direction long ago. It used to be a great career, now it's just a crappy job. She loved the people she worked with and she liked flying the jet. The rest sucked big time. If you actually enjoy FLYING, get over the notion of being another number at an airline and consider all segments of aviation. Pick the one that pays you what you're worth but lets you enjoy what you do. You may find that job doesn't include a dorky hat and Captain Steubing jacket.

Latest resources

Back