• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NTXPilot

Not Great...?!
Question about flying corporate...

For any of you with degrees outside aviation (finance, marketing, ect) do you work in another department within the company and also fly the aircraft? If not, would this even be possible? I'm trying to explore aviation outside the airline world. I've thought about getting an MBA, going into the business world, and try to fly the corporate plane while working in another department in the company. Obviously it would have to be the right company, a little luck, ect. But, I don't know if that was possible or if anyone has done that, so thought I would ask.

Thanks,
NTx

Just make sure that the company is paying you a fair and seperate salary for what you do in the office aside from what you are doing in the airplane. Being an "all in one" administrative assistant slash corporate pilot does nothing but drag things down for everyone. Nothing irritates me more than these companies that don't feel as though flying airplanes is a real job, so they want to "better utilize" their professional pilot by having them do other jobs in the company during their down time. Don't support these crappy operations by taking a job with them, make them hire and pay a pilot to do what he is there to do, run the flight department.

But like I said, if they want to pay you two seperate competitive salaries for two different jobs, go for it. :)

SkyBoy1981 said:
But like I said, if they want to pay you two seperate competitive salaries for two different jobs, go for it. :)

Oh you can be sure that I will make sure of this.

I think it would be difficult to find a company to pay you the equivalent of two, separate wages for the work you do; i.e. $100K for flying and $80K for the desk job.

Another idea is to find a corp job with a schedule that allows you to work somewhere else on your days off. For instance, at our company we avg. 25 days off each month and know our schedule weeks in advance. I have friends with similar schedules who sell real estate or do consulting work on the side. It's a great way to make some extra cash.

Since I don't have a degree, I spend my free time making balloon animals and riding my unicycle on the boardwalk in Santa Monica.;)

Last edited:
I have never heard of a position like you are describing.

I would think most people would want thier pilots mind on the ariplane not on the big meeting they are going to or just left.

just seems a bit unrealistic...but ya never know..

Now Im sure you can find plenty of scumbags who would let you wash thier BMWs in your "spare time"...I have heard of plenty of gigs like that.

Stay away from those as much as you can. Some companies, especially those that are in the industry might use their pilots and mechanics in related areas. As long as it is a secondary responsibility, it can be career expanding. However, many companies want you to work in another department. Fly all weekend and some of the week and then work in the office the rest of the week is total BS. Some of these cheapskates want to low ball you on salery and then make the secondary job your primary responsibility and basis for your pay.

That's kind of what I do...

I'm a Project Manager for a R&D Engineering Company, I also fly with the private pilot owner in the C340A or fly other guys around occasionally, I get $46K per year, my flight hours are way, way down recently because the business has had the boss concentrating on the hometown office recently AND the mx has gotten too expensive for him. I'm working 100% office duties for the most part, it's not what I expected and I'm thinking of moving on. That said, it's not bad money and with a kid on the way it could be a lot worse. I'm basically a office guy who happens to be able to fly on the odd occasion.

I agree with the other poster about flying not being considered a real job or full-time enough, I've had or been offerred a few jobs like this, it's the smaller outfits that think that way. With the boss being a pilot, he thinks he can do it himself eventually (not the case IMHO):rolleyes:

I'd rather just fly 100%, but I have learned a lot about business and an industry in which I had no experience, so there are some positives.

HMR said:
Since I don't have a degree, I spend my free time making balloon animals and riding my unicycle on the boardwalk in Santa Monica.;)

Do ya have to send the turban to the drycleaners, or just soak it?

Latest resources

Back