Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

Hello,

I am wondering how hard it is to get into an aircraft sales position with a company like Gulfstream, Cessna, Beechcraft, etc. I would assume you need to already be a commercial pilot with turbine flying time and prior sales experience. I am assuming a career like this could be quite lucrative if you produce a lot of sales. Please advise on this type of career path.

Thanks,

John

At Gulfstream, about half of the salesmen have come from Sales Engineering / Technical Marketing, the group of engineers that are dedicated to the assisting the sales execs in selling airplanes.

Others have moved up from selling aircraft for Bombardier, Dassault, Raytheon and Cessna. One came from Gulfstream Flight Ops. He is somewhat of a hard charger, he had made it to the Chief Pilot of Demonstration Flight by age 35.

Of course there are special cases, one saleman is the son of a friend of Teddy Forstmann, one guy had flown Boeings with one of the VPs when they were both pilots for Northwest and the Senior VP for Sales is a Marine and likes to hire other Marines.

GV

Boeing

You might consider someone like The Boeing Commercial Airplane Company. Incredible opportunities for a guy with a strong business background. Not the same as selling biz jets but still very interesting and rewarding. A second language would help or at least some significant overseas experience.

I have always thought highly of the Boeing sales organization. I developed a peripheral relationship with Borge Boeskov over the years; I showed him his first GV at the Langkawi airshow in Malaysia. Fine guy.

When Borge retired, Lee Monson moved from VP Boeing Business Jets to President. Lee had been a West Coast sales exec for Gulfstream prior to going to Boeing. He is now vice president of Commercial Airplane Sales for the Middle East and Africa region. Lee is another great guy.

The only issue with Boeing sales is the extremely thin margin they have their product because they are forced to compete with a government supported aircraft manufacturer. You have to sell a lot of airplanes to make any money.

GV

The only issue with Boeing sales is the extremely thin margin they have their product because they are forced to compete with a government supported aircraft manufacturer. GV

Maybe not for long. I predict that the next time the Germans "restructure" the French military, it will be over the EADS issue. ;) TC

key word here tough tough tough it is a very hard job to get into these days
definitely not what you know but who you know and who will mentor

Latest resources

Back