Corporate flying in the Atlanta area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATL Jobs

You might keep your eye on Coke. Word on the street is that their former Texaco Director of Aviation might be on the way out. It seems that in hiring their latest 5 new hires with an average of 700 hours (one not fixed-wing rated) to fly their 2 GV's and 3 GIV's, Headquarters is concerned that while he is meeting their diversity requirements he may not be meeting their safety requirements. I have a couple of friends in the department who are still aghast that these people were hired. One of them, a 7000 hour Gulfstream pilot, says that flying with any one of the newbies is a potentialy career limiting move to be avoided at all costs. If the D of A leaves Coke will be looking for qualified pilots.

GV

Atl jobs

I don't wish to belittle equal opportunity or diversity, but what was Coke thinking when they hired such low time pilots to fly such a complex aircraft. Thats akin to letting Homer Simpson actually run that nuclear power plant he works at. As an jet instructor and flight safety investigator, I see pilots get behind the jet during training all the time and these guys are fairly competent and experienced. I agree with GV all the way. If you have a problem with the aircraft, the NTSB/FAA isn't going to care if the copilot was inexperienced, they are going to care who was in command. Someone should raise the safety flag if it hasn't been done already. Having a socially acceptable flight department does not warrant a degredation in flight safety. I'm sure in some cases the PIC would be better off flying solo, at least you know your own limitations and training proficiency.

jet

I talked to a Coke pilot late last year and was stunned that they hired these VERY low timers. I'm all for giving people a break, or an early shot in the arm towards their careers, but from what I gathered, these folks had little to no jet time, no EFIS, FMS experience, etc. He said it was a struggle getting them through FlightSafety.

It was seem more appropriate for someone like this to be hired into a Cessna CJ or something like that, certainly not a GV. While I wish them the best in the careers, I certainly hope they realize they've been given the break of a lifetime and had better appreciate their good fortune. Hopefully in 20 years when they become the Chief Pilot or Director, they'll remember their good fortune and not become a self thought God in the industry. I'd bet everyone on this board would have given all they had to land a job like this with less than 1000 hours. For that sake, many with 5000TT would still consider themselves blessed to land a job with a company like Coke.

I did hear (from the same Coke pilot) that they have an "agreement" with Purdue University to employ 2 interns a year. After two years if these interns work out, they would be offered full time employment, thus giving Coke one new pilot every 1-2 years. I've flown with low time pilots in very complex aircraft and it can be hard enough to be responsible for the trip as PIC, much less the obligations of being a CFI at the same time.

I'm sure I'll catch flack for this and it is certainly not intended to do so. I don't have a problem with low timers being added to the ranks. I do, IMHO however, believe in the old addage of "paying ones dues."

If I've upset some here, forgive me. It certainly wasn't meant to offend.

Regards,
2000Flyer

DAL737FO said:
Any good part 91 companies looking for pilots in the Atlanta area.

DAL 737FO

I know that Georgia-Pacific is hurting for pilots right now. They had to park an aircraft because they cannot support it. The problem is that they have a corporate hiring freeze.

One problem for you might be that most of the better corporate flight departments will not hire furloughed airline pilots (I am assuming that is your situation).

You might try flying charter. Try this one: Flightworks (at RYY) 770.422.7375. Talk to Bob Freeman, Scott Beal, or Rick Young. I worked for them a long time ago, it is a good operation.

Well I like to think that I was given a chance at an early point in my career, but it wasn’t in the right seat of a V, it was in the right seat of a Lear. Although I built my time fast and had over a thousand hrs of jet time in just under two years, landing my present job.

I still like to believe that despite the fact that my resume may have got me the interview my skills landed me the job.

I can only imagine what they must have gone thru; the G-IV type was by far the hardest I’ve endured.

Although I do look forward to the day I find my name on the G-V list… * sigh *

GIV

:)

corporate

how would one go about even researching these companies(Coke, georgia-pacific) and finding out how to apply? Like fax numbers, email addresses, web sites, etc. I have already done searches on www and flightinfo. What are some of the tricks of the trade(besides walking in and selling yourself)?

The pilot who told me the Coke story (see above) said they posted the job on the their website. They received over 3000 resumes in five days and it shut down their site. Now that it's public that Coke will hire lower time pilots, I'm sure they get the broad spectrum. At my former employer, we routinely got resume from folks with 250TT and a fresh ME rating.

GIVJoc. I too feel I got a luck break. My first jet job was on a C501 at 1100TT. I was an FO for two years before getting typed. I was in no hurry as it seemed I learned something new everyday. No doubt I feel fortunate to have had such a break.

DAL737FO ... sorry this has diverted from your original question. Not too long ago one of the job websites had a company in the ATL area looking for someone on their Westwind. Try PilotPointer as they have a good list of help wanted sites that are free to view.

Regards,
2000Flyer

Found this on one of the websites, sounds like it could be right

up your alley.

Citation Captain (500 Series)

Position requires a first class medical, 4,000 total hours with 3,000 hours as PIC. This position requires employee to live within 30 minutes of RYY. Professional appearance and excellent customer service skills are a must for this Part 135 on-demand charter position. Citation 500 series type rating is not required but preferred. [email protected]

Re: corporate

wannab0133 said:
how would one go about even researching these companies(Coke, georgia-pacific) and finding out how to apply? Like fax numbers, email addresses, web sites, etc. I have already done searches on www and flightinfo. What are some of the tricks of the trade(besides walking in and selling yourself)?

I got hired by sending a resume in reply to an ad in the paper. It is almost impossible to just walk in to the larger flight departments. We had a security fence and mean-ass secretary to contend with.

The best way is to know somebody that works for the company, that can tell you when they are looking for a pilot. It's is mostly (not always so don't start shooting flames) about timing and who you know.

Latest resources

Back